Duraceramic Over Plywood Over Vinyl - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2010, 10:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

duraceramic over plywood over vinyl

Going to put 1/4 plywood down over sheet vinyl then dura-plus over. I think I want to use use a "thin-set" over the vinyl to cover holes and gaps in the vinyl. Exactly what type/make/brand of thin-set is good. Home-Depot has 10 different "types" and I do not have the slightest idea. How does one apply the thin-set? v-notched/u-notched/flat? How thick? Over the WHOLE floor or just where it need leveling/filling?. Then is the plywood screwed down while the thin-set is still WET?

Advertisement

siggy312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,616

OK HOLD ON!!!

Thinset is not a good filler and shouldn't be used for this purpose. Home Depot does not sell ten different thinsets by the way.

Go to the next isle behind the thinset isle and find a Portland cement based patch/filler if you install directly over the existing flooring. You WOULD NOT use a notched trowel to do the patching either.

If you are going to use 1/4" plywood underlayment, why do you need a filler at all? You can't patch the floor then nail through it to install the underlayment.

Advertisement

Old 07-25-2010, 07:26 PM   #3

just "seems" like 10 (modified, unmodified, professional, brand-x, brand-y, quick-set, thinset-mortar, etc.).....

I believe filler is needed for all those places where there is no vinyl: Where I removed a wall, Where some of the vinyl has lifted.

So you are saying if I want to use something to "level" the floor before I screw 1/4 plywood down ( then put my duraceramic over top ), I should use portland patch-filler, and ONLY on those places that "need" filling ?
Old 07-25-2010, 08:42 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,616

Yes...patch sparingly.

The problem with patching first then installing the underlayment is the patches may crumble when the underlayment screw or nail hits them. With screws the ply will lift slightly and if crumbles erupt under the ply it can't go down tight. Nails aren't as bad but if patch crumbles then the floor will crunch for a long time. With nails the patches could vibrate loose under the ply when nailing the ply.

If they aren't too deep I would leave them alone. Once the ply is down the areas will bridge and the vinyl tile is flexible enough it won't matter.

In the area a wall was removed...that's different. I would fill that and stay away from it when installing the ply.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:01 PM   #5

much thanks

I can rent a "ring-nailer" - locally