Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2012, 07:50 AM   #1

Share |

Drywall and Kerdi or CBU?

Bathroom shower tub area with marble tiles.

Should I use drywall and Kerdi or plastic barrier and CBU? Which is easier?

noone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #2

Is this a shower stall or tub? Tub you use cbu & stall you use uncupling membrane like kerdi.

JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #3
Tileguy

Hi Noone,

Sorry Jet got it a little backwards, I'm sure he just miss understood the question.

I believe the very best way to waterproof your tub enclosure is with a the surface membrane method.

Drywall with Kerdi is as good as any other substrate. If for some reason you feel un sure, you can use a CBU as the base and apply the membrane over that. Use a real concrete board though, many people have trouble with fiber/cement boards such as Hardie.

The old method will work too, but why use it when the surface membrane method is sooooo much better.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
GBrackins (09-04-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #4

I just wanted to double check. Seems like kerdi is more work, but if that's the way it should be done to be done properly, that works for me.

Thanks!
Old 09-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
Tileguy

Well sure....... it's more work and more $$$.

With a surface membrane, nothing behind it gets wet. With all other methods the substrate gets wet/damp if moisture gets in. (Remember, tile and grout does not make anything waterproof). The paper/plastic on the studs is only a vapor retarder not a waterproofing. If done right it can work well too, just use real CBU and thinset (powder) adhesive).

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Well sure....... it's more work and more $$$.

With a surface membrane, nothing behind it gets wet. With all other methods the substrate gets wet/damp if moisture gets in. (Remember, tile and grout does not make anything waterproof). The paper/plastic on the studs is only a vapor retarder not a waterproofing. If done right it can work well too, just use real CBU and thinset (powder) adhesive).

Jaz
Thanks. I'm still debating on whether the extra expense and labor involved in Kerdi is worth it.

I just ripped out a 16 year old shower and it was installed with green board on the studs and cement board nailed on top if it with porcelain tiles on top. There was absolutely no leakage whatsoever.

I would be interested to know what materials are used today for a CBU install. What kind of plastic and what kind of cement board.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #7

Like I was trying to say in prior post is that if you have a tub most likely you will install cbu, backer board holds to studs better then sheetrock and in my case a better tile bond as well. The reason for kerdi is the ability to lap the top and bottom corner seams like paper. So really you will have to buy sheet rock and kerdi as pose to just cbu. You can also red guard the cbu as well for better protection.

This is just my take on installs, kerdi is a wast or money because using it only on walls is not really what it's meant for. And tile and grout is what makes your shower water proof & that's the hole reason also that it looks much nicer then Fiberglas tub walls.

Last edited by JetSwet; 09-04-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
Tileguy

There's a bunch of ways to do a tub enclosure and have it last a long time.

Wallboard, either regular or moisture resistant with no waterproofing system over it is not a good method. Wallboards with concrete backer over it then the tiles is also not an approved method. Can it work? Yes it can, heck I used to do it that way years ago to imitate a "real" "mud" job when using basic tiles that had mud bullnose to match. Those days are gone forever.

Since then surface waterproofing products have been developed because of the many, many failures when wallboards, mastic and other poor choices were made to cut corners. Using surface membranes to prevent the substrate from getting wet and at the same time preventing vapor from entering the wall cavities is smart and easy to do.

For a tub enclosure I would have no problem skipping Kerdi and using a liquid membrane instead. Tub enclosures are not as critical as showers so if you wanna save $50 bucks, go ahead. However using plastic or tarpaper on the studs then concrete backer makes little sense to me. You'll have a tough time getting it sealed right, and why would you think it's ok for the concrete backer to get wet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSwet
The reason for kerdi is the ability to lap the top and bottom corner seams like paper.
What? No, it's to make a waterproof tile installation.

Quote:
kerdi is a wast or money because using it only on walls is not really what it's meant for.
Floors, walls, ceilings, Kerdi (or any membrane) doesn't care where it's used.

Quote:
And tile and grout is what makes your shower water proof & that's the hole reason also that it looks much nicer then Fiberglas tub walls.
OMG, you'd think after a few weeks of being here and thinking about it for a few seconds you'd know better that that. A ridiculous statement right there.

Jaz

Old 09-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #9

What can I say Jaz I'm just a very cynical tiler.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #10
Tileguy

Tiler? You're a tiler? NO WAY!

Jaz

Old 09-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan
Tiler? You're a tiler? NO WAY!

Jaz
I love getting a rise out of ya Jaz! Lol
Old 09-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #12

Ok let's try again, I come along and botch the posts just so I can learn more from you Jaz!
Old 09-04-2012, 08:34 PM   #13
Tileguy

Quote:
I come along and botch the posts just so I can learn more from you Jaz!
yes, and you do it so often. OK, tell us, you used to me a carpenter right? What else can it be?

Jaz

Old 09-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan

yes, and you do it so often. OK, tell us, you used to me a carpenter right? What else can it be?

Jaz
I guess carpenters can't be tilers huh
Maintenance, plumbing and carpentry?.....I'm jaded! I wasn't taught correctly on the tile, gggrrr! Lol
Old 09-04-2012, 09:12 PM   #15
Tileguy

Finally...a correct statement! Keep trying though. All you gotta do is a little searching, read some labels and you'll be surprised what you might learn.

Jaz

The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
JetSwet (09-04-2012)