Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2011, 05:29 PM   #1

Share |

Do you have to seal marble and glass mosaic tile that is in the shower?

We are installing a glass and marble mosaic tile in the shower and wonder if I need to seal the marble in the tile? I am just worried what the sealant would do to the glass portions of the mosaic.

debbieriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:16 PM   #2
Tileguy

Marble & glass mosaics together...huh. Are they regular polished marble or are they rustic like tumbled marble tile? The grout need to be filled. Generally the marble tiles need to be sealed too.

Penetrating grout sealer or stone enhancer will be applied on the entire surface then wiped off the glass and any excess of the tiles. Shouldn't hurt the glass tile one bit.

More important would be how the shower is constructed and the adhesive you're using. Did you start yet?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:00 PM   #3

hoping u used unsanded grout for the marble and glass tile. Presealing the marble before grouting is recommended. Sealing will not affect the glass. Should wipe right off.
acglobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:09 AM   #4

Glass tiles don't need to be sealed but any stone product especially in a wet area needs to be. The marble is very porus (sp) and will etch and milder. You will need to go to a good tile diastributer and spend the 50 bucks on a good product that will last. I recommend impregnator pro.don't use the cheep stuff from the home improvement stores. Some of it works and some don't.
You will need to put on at least 2 coats the first time. It takes about 15 minutes to do each coat. Then resurface about every 6 months (just one coat) and your marble will stay looking good. Don't pay someone to do it for you. Its very easy to do but do read the directions on the product.
jimg3958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:14 AM   #5

If anyone out their needs to have a tile question answered, mrs jazman is very good at this also.I think we both have a lot to offer as far as help. Nice to find someone else who is good at this and cares.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:18 PM   #6
Tileguy

Quote:
If anyone out their needs to have a tile question answered, mrs jazman is very good

OK so I need to get the mrs on here too?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #7
Tileguy

Quote:
If anyone out their needs to have a tile question answered, mrs jazman is very good

OK so I need to get the mrs on here too?

Jaz

Old 02-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #8

I type on a blackberry sorry mr
Old 02-08-2011, 06:36 PM   #9
Tileguy

JAZ...you da' man!
Old 07-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #10

Mr jazzman,
what is the difference between the impregnator pro and the bulletproof sealant? They are both from DuPont and the bulletproof has very good reviews.
Thanks
tassobello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #11
Tileguy

Ciao Bello,

The impregnator pro is for professional use only and Dupont recommends not using it and using Bulletproof instead. Bulletproof is recognized as a good quality product, I've never used it. I've used Miracle's 511 Impregnator and several AquaMix sealers. There are many good ones out there and frankly it's hard to tell which are good and be able to know without a doubt. I trust the companies and figure if it's hurting my check book it's better than the cheapo products. Spend about $35-50 a pint and you should be good.

What are you sealing anyway?

Jaz

Old 07-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #12

Thank you for your fast response. I am sealing some marble tiles on floor and natural stone on the shower floor. I have glass tiles on the shower walls but understand there is no need to seal them. The Bulletproof is around $30 a quart. They don't say what finish they come in, matte or glossy. I guess is universal?
Thanks again
tassobello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:32 PM   #13
Tileguy

Sealers are not supposed to change the natural look of stone. The stone will look the same after you seal it.

If you want to make the stone look like when it's wet, use a stone enhancer. Good idea to test on a sample first.

You've got some high maintenance tile there. Better seal the shower floor really well. and bath floor too.

Jaz