Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-14-2014, 07:28 PM   #1

Share |

Do I need special tile anchors or will drywall anchors work?

I am going to install a shower door and I thought I needed to get some kind of special anchor to use in the tile but am now wondering if I can just use some type of metal drywall anchor.

Eagle One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:18 PM   #2
Tileguy

Hi Eagle,

What are you installing the door to, I mean what's behind the tile? Is this a shower or a tub enclosure? Normally there will be at least 2 studs in that area to accept the stainless steel screws. Are you thinking there's nothing there? Is it a frameless door or is the glass framed?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:26 PM   #3

They do make tile anchors, but they are not best used with something heavy like a shower door. You should be able to drill through the tile and screw directly into studs.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:47 PM   #4

Sorry for the delayed response on this one. I had to put this project on hold while handling major clean up issues from a burst frozen pipe. I am ready to get back into this now....

So I don't need special anchors...and I was actually thinking that shoving anything in there other than some plastic may actually crack the tile upon expansion anyway?? I am picturing a metal drywall anchor expanding in the tile...sounds like something you don't want to do...

As for the studs, I may be able to hit one behind the tile but my stud finder is not picking up anything through tile of course and the position of my drill hole is going to be a few inches in from the edge so I am not sure I am going to hit any wood. Maybe the screw through the tile and dryway is enough?
Old 03-31-2014, 03:07 PM   #5

Expanders don't expand in the immediate hole - they expand in the space beyond the drywall. If your hole in the tile is big enough to accept the anchor, it will be fine.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:22 PM   #6

Good point. I was overthinking that one....

So I guess if I drill in and don't hit a stud, I should use an anchor for sure?
Old 03-31-2014, 03:44 PM   #7

you didnt answer the question about being a frame or frameless door? A framed door meaning there is a piece of metal going across top of shower door the entire width of tub opening. In this case a heavy duty anchor should be enough. Frameless should have a stud.
JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:47 PM   #8
Rob

For drilling in tile I generally use a masonry bit but do not use a hammer drill. If there isn't any stud behind the tile I use plastic shields.
Robpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinK View Post
you didnt answer the question about being a frame or frameless door?
You are right. I forgot to answer that one. Sorry about that. What I am installing is a "Frameless Glass" Door. I bought it through HD online. It has two tracks. One that goes up the wall on one side and another shorter track that screws into the bottom. There is no frame up top and no frame where the door swings open.

Let leads me to another question about where I need to install these tracks. The instructions say to center the bottom track on the shower threshold but the grout line is right near there and I don't know how close I can drill a hole near there....I will send some pics when I get home in a couple hours....
Old 03-31-2014, 03:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robpo View Post
For drilling in tile I generally use a masonry bit but do not use a hammer drill. If there isn't any stud behind the tile I use plastic shields.
Thanks. Got the masonry bits already. What are the plastic shields you are referring to here?
Old 03-31-2014, 04:21 PM   #11

I have installed hinged models and they definitely need a stud. I look what they had at HD.com and they had pivoting models that only used 1 1/4" long screws with anchors to attach to wall. Its hard to believe that holds it I guess pivoting takes alot of stress off it.
So best to look at directions for your model and go from there.
JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle One View Post
The instructions say to center the bottom track on the shower threshold but the grout line is right near there and I don't know how close I can drill a hole near there...
Going through a grout line is fine.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:03 PM   #13

I thought going through the grout line would be a problem (more prone to breaking apart maybe?) and it would be better to move the track a little towards the outside of the threshold, maybe a half inch or so. Then when I line up the track for the wall, it would be further away from the grout line and I could screw through the tile. The bottom track is centered there in the pic as the instructions suggest and is not affected by any grout of course. I am just concerned about running the other track up the wall so close to that grout line. I don't want to mess up the tile and there are no do overs here so I want to get this right the first time.
Attached Thumbnails
Do I need special tile anchors or will drywall anchors work?-shower-door-pic.jpg  
Old 03-31-2014, 08:09 PM   #14
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle One View Post
Thanks. Got the masonry bits already. What are the plastic shields you are referring to here?

http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=C...r%3D15&cad=rja
Robpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:42 AM   #15

If you are not actually going to go trough the grout line, but right next to it, it could be difficult to hold the bit steady without it slipping down the edge of the beveled tile. So in that sense it might be best to move it over a quarter inch. Otherwise, it doesn't matter.