Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2009, 01:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ditra "Movement Joints" - necessary for residential application?

Hello!

Am about to embark on a porcelain tile install on my main floor entrance hall / kitchen / bath / closets & laundry areas ( about 420 ft2 ).

Reading through the Schulter-Ditra installation manual, it speaks of the need to install "movement joints" in tile installations of significant field size. They go on to state that these movement joints are absolutely essential in the perimeter area, & strongly recommended at any thresholds between tiled rooms or where a hallway meets a tiled room.

I must admit, after discussing ditra with many folks who've used the product, this is the first I've ever heard of, or the need for, movement joints.

Your thoughts on this are much appreciated.

Regards,
DSD

DeepSeaDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,136

Quote:
I must admit, after discussing ditra with many folks who've used the product, this is the first I've ever heard of, or the need for, movement joints.
Who on earth you been talkin' to?

Everyone that uses DITRA or any tile product on a professional basis knows full-well that movement joints in the field are ALWAYS a need when the floor area meets the criteria and ALWAYS needed at every perimeter.

420ft2 doesn't say much but is large enough that it may certainly require some special attention.

What are the dimensions?
Is there sunlight involved?
What is the substrate?

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Who on earth you been talkin' to?

Everyone that uses DITRA or any tile product on a professional basis knows full-well that movement joints in the field are ALWAYS a need when the floor area meets the criteria and ALWAYS needed at every perimeter.

420ft2 doesn't say much but is large enough that it may certainly require some special attention.

What are the dimensions?
Is there sunlight involved?
What is the substrate?
I was "talking to "know-little shmucks" like myself who'd done a tile job or two & were insta-experts!

I've only done one - 1100 ft2 on my 20 yr. old basement floor - looks great! Hope I didn't need movement joints down there!

Now I had enough sense to know that the game would change when I moved up to tile the main floor, thus some serious reading began. It has been enlightening to say the least.

So now I've ordered my movement joints from Shluter, I have my sill-seal, & I have a tile installation plan that will meet industry standards.

Thank you all for the education!

Regards,
DSD
Old 07-31-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
Tileguy

It would also be adviseable to use one of the better "flexible thinsets" that are available these days. They will allow lateral movements between the tile and the substrate of 1/6" and 1/8". Whatever you do...DO NOT grout the perimeter of the room. Leave a 1/4" gap and either cover it with baseboard or in the case of a basement caulk the gap with grout-matching caulk.

The use of DITRA would be even better.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
It would also be adviseable to use one of the better "flexible thinsets" that are available these days. They will allow lateral movements between the tile and the substrate of 1/6" and 1/8". Whatever you do...DO NOT grout the perimeter of the room. Leave a 1/4" gap and either cover it with baseboard or in the case of a basement caulk the gap with grout-matching caulk.

The use of DITRA would be even better.

...recommended their mechanical perimeter products 1st, but allowed for sill-seal to be used as well - are you not a fan of sill-seal Bud? Either way, there will be a 1/4" space sans grout, hidden by trim.

I'm using Ditra XL in a attempt to come up even with my adjoining hardwood flooring.

The thinsets are both premium products from Laticrete, & I will follow Shluter's spec.'s as to what thinset to use where.

If this tile job isn't the meow's arse, I'm gunna be sum p.o.'d!

DSD

Last edited by DeepSeaDan; 08-01-2009 at 07:40 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:53 PM   #6
Tileguy

Quote:
...recommended their mechanical perimeter products 1st, but allowed for sill-seal to be used as well - are you not a fan of sill-seal Bud?
Have no idea what you are talking about!