Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #1

Share |

Ditra mat install problems

On the advice of the 'tile flooring expert' at HD, I was advised to use mastic under the ditra (subfloor substrate) and under the 12x12 ceramic tile.

Of course.... a week later the mastic is still wet.

Its well documented that mastic is not suitable for Ditra installs, or flooring for that matter....why did I listen to this guy? ...Im not sure. I know better, I should have researched, or read the install manual before hand... Ive installed Ditra and ceramic tile several times successfully with unmodified thinset

anyways...will the mastic ever dry? Ill wait it out if its a matter of a few weeks. If not, Ill like to cut my losses now while the space is still empty and do the job the right way...which probably means tearing up the tile, the ditra, cleaning all the tile, and cleaning up the gigantic mess left behind by the mastic before it dries to the subfloor.

anything else I can do?

any help is appreciated

as a side note...I used a 1/4" notched trowel in some areas where the floor is a bit unlevel (old house)... those tiles seem to be secured to the mat...Im assuming its because of the air trapped between the larger trowel grooves.

Last edited by Pitagriffin; 10-15-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Pitagriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #2

if the mastic is still wet then now is the time to pull it up. now you know why you don't listen to anyone in a big box store. why would you listen to someone else

when you had already used ditra with thinset and gotten good results. i hope you call the store or better yet go back to the store and tell the manager about their

employee (tile flooring expert) giving you very bad advice. take some samples of the stuff you pulled with the wet mastic on it from a week ago. they should at

least offer to replace the tile and the ditra.

Last edited by DannyT; 10-15-2012 at 10:03 AM.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
if the mastic is still wet then now is the time to pull it up. now you know why you don't listen to anyone in a big box store. why would you listen to someone else

when you had already used ditra with thinset and gotten good results. i hope you call the store or better yet go back to the store and tell the manager about their

employee (tile flooring expert) giving you very bad advice. take some samples of the stuff you pulled with the wet mastic on it from a week ago. they should at

least offer to replace the tile and the ditra.
thanks for your reply.

I know better, very upset with myself.

anyways...I read throught the ditra manual again. They say modified mortars take 14-60 days to cure.. I should at least wait the full 14 days before going throught the hell of fixing this job.

Im fairly certain that it will never cure. I do have an industrial fan blowing down on the floor, im sure Its a futile effort though....its a hail mary move at this point

Old 10-18-2012, 10:07 AM   #4

To update

I pulled up a large section of tiles... The mastic started to dry on the bottom surface of tiles, probably due to the slight porosity of ceramic tiles, but they came up easily.

I scraped and scrubbed off all the mastic I could from the tiles themselves and the ditra. Let them both air dry for a day or so, as there is mastic in the waffles of the ditra, then reapllied the tiles with thinset.

The tiles adheared to the ditra...although I question how good the bond is due to all the dried mastic under there,...time will tell. It probably wont work out in my favor, the thinset is not applied to the ditra waffle pattern properly

Also, there is some lipage issue now, which makes the job look really amature unfortunatly. Im hoping with some good grout work (and grout of a similar color as the tile) I can hide it a bit. not likely either.

Im going to finish the renovation and asses the floor later (and my budget). at this point, Im pretty sure im giong to end up replacing the entire floor at the end of the project, sub floor and all.

this is a disaster.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
Tileguy

And people keep going back for more....................... Such fools are we!

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #6

i would have pulled the ditra up as well
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
i would have pulled the ditra up as well
The ditra was adhered to the subfloor very well... Ill have to pull up and replace the subfloor as well to do it properly.

I figured Id give this a shot before sending all that time, and money...