Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2009, 06:31 PM   #1

Share |

ditra floor

I just laid a ditra floor system in my bathroom, I followed directions, but I when I went in and looked the floor the next day , I noticed bumps in the floor, I used the recommended thin set and wonder if it is suppose to be this way, doesn't make sense and I worry about setting tile on this uneven surface... can anyone help ???
Jackie

jlynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:53 PM   #2

ditra floor

Moving you to the tile forum where hopefully someone can help.

I'd suggest posting pictures of what you're dealing with.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:23 PM   #3

ditra floor

I've used ditra a couple of times now and never had bumps. I usually tile mine right away though. Are these bumps solid, meaning to much thinset under them. Or are they like air bubbles where the ditra didn't stick to the thinset? Also how big are these bumps?
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:10 AM   #4

ditra floor

I think it's too much thin set underneath, I guess now the question is to keep it down or tear it up. I am leaning towards tearing it up, and redoing it so that my tile lays correctly.. it's pretty bumpy and I am worried about the tile not laying right.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:10 AM   #5

ditra floor

How big are the bumps? I watched a video on the web of some guy cutting a section of ditra out and replacing it once, think on youtube. Not sure if this is acceptable or not.

I would fix the bumps by either cutting them out or just ripping the whole thing out and redo. And make sure you use the flat side of the trowel to smooth the ditra out next time. Also make sure you are using a quality thinset. good luck
Old 07-29-2009, 07:14 AM   #6

ditra floor

Poncho,

Thanks for your help, I ended up tearing up the floor and using cement board. I have both my bathrooms torn up so I needed to move quickly.. You were right it was the thin set that I used, I used way to much and could see it when I picked up the floor. Once again thanks.

Jackie
Old 07-29-2009, 08:37 AM   #7

ditra floor

glad you got it fixed. If I remember right ditra recommends a small v notch trowel that I couldn't find locally. Something like 3/16 or 5/16. You don't need much thinset under it.

What size trowel did you use for thinset under your cement board?
Old 07-29-2009, 10:41 PM   #8
Tileguy

ditra floor

Jackie,

Schluter recommends either a 3/16x1/4 V or a 5/16 V. I don't think the 1st leaves enough mortar so I've been cutting deeper grooves for many years. Then several years ago they came up with the 5/16 recommendation. Great, I still haven't seen one of those locally.

I'd love to know how you did this. Aside from using too much thinset, (what size trowel did you use?), you may have mixed it too thick and for sure you didn't "beat" it with a wooden float into the mortar and work the air out. You used a modified thinset right?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:35 AM   #9

ditra floor

I think the problem was my thin set was too thick and I did not use the right trowel. I actually found the right size at home depot. I used the ditra left over in the new closet of my bathroom and it worked really well. I am also redoing the master bath in the next month or so and plan on using it for that bath. I liked the results once I learned how to use it properly. I agree with Poncho that u get better results when you lay the tile immediately after you lay the ditra. I really appreciate the comments it helped alot. I have just about finished this bathroom and it looks really good. I am in the process of a major reno in my new house so I am positive I will be back with questions.. Thanks..
Old 08-12-2009, 07:38 AM   #10

ditra floor

Yep you are correct I did not beat it properly.. I'll let you know how the next bath comes out..
Old 08-12-2009, 05:17 PM   #11
Tileguy

ditra floor

I can make another suggestion also...

The folks at Schluter say you can install the DITRA and then immediately begin your tile installation.

My reccommendation is once you have the DITRA installed and smoothed and flat..."STAY THE HELL OFF OF IT OVERNIGHT FOR GODS SAKE."

I'm one of those people that thinks the customer IS NOT always right and that Schluter Techies need more time in the field if they are going to tell you how to install their products with any real conviction.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:16 PM   #12

ditra floor

bud, help me out,,, nagzilla's on her own w/the tile guy in hilton head
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:20 PM   #13
Tileguy

ditra floor

Quote:
bud, help me out,,, nagzilla's on her own w/the tile guy in hilton head
Is there a missing link or something? I'm not following.....
Old 08-12-2009, 08:38 PM   #14

ditra floor

the thread below - new tile over old - HURRY ! ! ! nagzilla's got the ckbook

nagzilla wants new bathroom flooring :-(

itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:40 PM   #15
Tileguy

ditra floor

OK I'm catchin' up......here ya go:

nagzilla wants new bathroom flooring :-(