Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-06-2012, 03:02 PM   #1

Share |

Different grouts for same area?

Salutations,
I am getting ready to do my first tiling job with a backsplash in our kitchen. I'll be using a combination of river rocks and glass tile accents.

My question is this- the river rock says to use a sanded grout and the glass tile says to use unsanded. Do I need to use two different types of grout or can I use unsanded for both? If both, is it recommended to do all of one type first and once set, do the other?

Any recommendations or advice would be much appreciated.

LarsD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
Tileguy

Quote:
My question is this- the river rock says to use a sanded grout and the glass tile says to use unsanded. Do I need to use two different types of grout or can I use unsanded for both? If both, is it recommended to do all of one type first and once set, do the other?
In this case BOTH will be required if you don't want to be pulling your hair out soon after grouting.

The stones require the bulk of sanded grout and the glass requires the fine make-up of unsanded grout.

I would install the unsanded first and allow it a day or two to dry. Then do the sanded grout last. This way the sanded grout can be cleaned off of the unsanded where it may overlap in the installation process and the two will have distinctly different finishes.

If you do it the other way around the unsanded will get into the sanded and you won't be getting it out. It will appear smudgy at the junctures.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #3

Thanks for the response.

Will there be a visual difference between a sanded and unsanded grout?
Old 01-06-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
Tileguy

Quote:
Will there be a visual difference between a sanded and unsanded grout?
Yes. However, if the color match is good and with the smaller grout lines of the glass portion I doubt it will be very noticeable if at all.

I think (because the stones require a lot of grout comparatively) that the unsanded grout is going to overwhelm the overall appearance and everything will look fine. Even tho I don't have any idea what your layout is.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
Tileguy

You could (now that I think about it) install the sanded grout first then when installing the unsanded just wipe unsanded over everything and that would somewhat fill the grainy aspects of the sanded grout and maybe make everything look more uniform. Not sure what look you are after.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:29 AM   #6

Much appreciated. The tile turned out well, though I'm still having a little trouble on the electrical faceplates. I purchased some faceplate extenders, but I think I'm putting them on wrong. Does the extender box sit flush with the newly installed tile or the drywall around the tile?
Old 01-10-2012, 01:20 PM   #7

Followup question. For my backsplash, I grouted last night and when I inspected the areas this morning, noticed that in the inside corners there was some significant grout that I apparently missed. As I'm sure the grout has dried, should I try and chisel it all off before caulking those corners? I'm unsure what the harm is in grouting corners so unsure if its an aesthetic thing or something else.

Also, how long to people normally wait to caulk after grouting?

Thanks,