Deep Grout Blues? - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-26-2011, 12:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 79

Deep Grout blues?

Hi,

I would really like to get the grout in deep if possible and it would make a better install:

1) are there any tricks to get the grout to go in deeper?
(I get the general gist of it from you tube and a test run a few years ago.)

2) is it OK if there is some thinset residue on the sides of the tile just behind the glazed part? (See 5)

3) how long should it take to press in the grout for a shower backsplash, @171"x63" w/10x15 porcelain tile.

4) We are using Mapei Keracolor S (frost) Grout with Miracle Sealer's Grout Shield instead of water. I saw a thread on it, but no one has come back with a review on revisiting the tile after a while.

5) I thought of using a dremel, but some of the wheels, like the wire brushes leave a residue like oxidation. I am thinking this would be very very bad? Any suggestions?
(Since I am having carpal issues, guess my lady will be comming up behind me or tag teaming w/the grout. Need to know as best possible for myself so I can also convey to her how to get it right and quick! )

Attached Thumbnails
Deep Grout blues?-bath-shower-project-009a.jpg   Deep Grout blues?-bath-shower-project-016a.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by wraiththe; 12-26-2011 at 12:43 PM.
wraiththe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:40 AM   #2

Deep Grout blues?

wow, zero replies....

Advertisement

Old 12-27-2011, 05:16 PM   #3
Facilities Maintenance

Rewards Points: 250

Deep Grout blues?

Found this while looking at how to safely remove tiles without damaging them. (which there are a mass amount of videos on youtube of how to do, as well as installing tiles)

A lot of the processes in that video you've already done, but you can skip to near the end.
BigGuy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:25 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,212

Deep Grout blues?

When you apply grout you pack it into the spaces with the float---running on a diagonal to the spaces--first in one direction--the in the opposite.

That will pack the joints---have you ever grouted before?
Old 12-27-2011, 07:00 PM   #5
DIY staff

Deep Grout blues?

I do not recommend the grout additive you mentioned in the colorful post above---
Old 12-27-2011, 07:06 PM   #6

Deep Grout blues?

Any particular reason why you think it would be a bad idea to use Grout Sheild Oh Mike?
Old 12-27-2011, 07:13 PM   #7
DIY staff

Deep Grout blues?

Mapeis grouts already contain a powdered additive--that other liquid is going to change the formulation and will very likely give you trouble---we get a few calls here about that exact situation.

Mepei has a technical help line staffed by experts--call them before you attempt to 'improve' the grout with someone elses liquid---I believe they will tell you the same thing--

I just want to head off one more grout failure post.---Mike---
Old 12-27-2011, 07:32 PM   #8

Deep Grout blues?

I called and the guy said it was ok. Maybe I will wait another day because I am just about to pour the stuff. I cannot find any negative words on the additive, but there is more than one "Grout Sheild" out there. Why the HELL they would name a product the same as another.... is beyond me.

All I know is Crossville Tile reccomended it. It is supposed to offer stain resistance and you never have to seal the grout.

What kind of problems to people have with it?
Old 12-27-2011, 07:36 PM   #9
DIY staff

Deep Grout blues?

Grout haze that will not come off---You called Mepei and they recommended that?
wraiththe (12-27-2011)
Old 12-27-2011, 07:58 PM   #10

Deep Grout blues?

I just got off the phone with the Grout sheild guy. He said the same thing. The problems they hear of most is that there is a haze that will not come off and if that happens from not cleaning it well enough, the solution is to use an acidic cleaner... (he said I could use vinegar and H20) to wipe it off. And that sometimes some calcium will rise to the surface of the grout as the water evaporates... and the same thing for that, use an acidic cleaner. I am surprised he told me that last part. I think it is called efforvecence? OK, I am a little spooked... I am now wondering if it is worth the promised end result.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:02 PM   #11
DIY staff

Deep Grout blues?

What did Mapei say? They made the grout--They are in charge---Using acid cleaners on new grout will discolor the grout
Old 12-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,462

Deep Grout blues?

I have used the Mapei grout and thinset, and have never had problems. The key is after letting the grout set for a bit, is to wipe with the sponge, after doing the area, depending on the size of the space, you swap out sponges and buckets for clean, and have your helper throughly rinse the sponge with warm water, clean, rinse and fill the bucket with tepid water, and repeat. After the grout sets for a day or 12 hours, depending on the humidity, size of grout joints, and temp of the home, go back through and lather, rinse repeat same steps as before (wipe space with clean sponge, warm water, gets dirty, change out for clean sponge and new bucket of water, and have helper clean other sponge and rinse and fill other bucket).

If I recalled, I went through three times after I let the grout set for a day, and to this day there has never been a haze. A lot though depends on the type of tile product that was used, which means how porous it is.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #13

Deep Grout blues?

Gregzol, are you talking about mixing mapei with grout shield?
Old 12-27-2011, 08:34 PM   #14
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,462

Deep Grout blues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraiththe View Post
Gregzol, are you talking about mixing mapei with grout shield?
I would never touch the grout shield in my lifetime. It is not worth it. After the grout is dried, you seal, then about every six months, seal then. Clean the floor with sudsy ammonia and the floor should stay clean. Trick is wash, rinse twice, then let air dry.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
wraiththe (12-27-2011)
Old 12-27-2011, 08:44 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 500

Deep Grout blues?

Just use a grout remover tool to scratch out the grout. Generally speaking if the thin set does not come up more than half the thickness of the tile then you are good but I would err on the thinner side for thinner tiles.

Use a float as recommended to pack the grout in. With 1/8" space and unsanded grout it should not be that laborious. You'll get the feel for when it is packed in fairly quickly.

As far as additives go, I think it is wise to add what the grout manufacturer recommends on the back of the package. If they recommend water, then add water.

If you have never grouted before, my advice is to start with a smaller amount and get used to working with it before you mix up a large batch. Best not to rush it when you're inexperienced. You can always mix more and do it in sections.

Advertisement

Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote