Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2010, 07:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cutting Tile With Grinder...CRACKS!

Hello,

I am tiling my bathroom, and I have a wet saw for all the major cuts. I need to cut a 5-6 inch circle in one of the tiles to go around the shower controls. I have read that you can use a grinder with a diamond blade, but everytime I do the tile cracks. The grinder is spinning so fast that it just catches a lip of the tile and its done. Any suggestions? I also tried using the wet saw and holding the tile over it and trying a pie cut, and the tile cracked at well. I am using a 12x12 tile. Thanks

fidkid83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,004

I surprised no one has answered this. I haven't heard of using an angle grinder for this. I have read that if the tile is cracking it may be getting too hot and that water can help. Small holes an inch apart or so around the circumference of the large hole you are trying to cut is the way to go. Then nip out in between. These holes don't have to be pretty since the escutcheon plate covers them. It would be better yet to divide this hole between two or four tiles rather than in the middle of one tile.

Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:15 PM   #3
Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

I've seen the tile setters using angle grinders often in commercial settings. I did work on a large mall in which they were putting tile down thru out the whole thing. I had 300 floor receptacles and each one had to be cut out of a large floor tile with a grinder.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:44 PM   #4

both methods (tile saw / grinder) can be difficult. i have been in the tile trade for nearly a decade and still end up with broken cuts! your cut for the valve can be an octigone, 8 striaght cuts is easyier than a circle. for the grinder you should have a daimond blade thats smooth not the kind with teeth. i would use the tile saw, cutting the tile from the back side just make sure your blade is getting plenty of water.

good luck!
haversack tile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to haversack tile For This Useful Post:
BigJim (08-08-2010)
Old 09-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by haversack tile View Post
for the grinder you should have a daimond blade thats smooth not the kind with teeth.
Give that a try for sure; the finer the blade the less chance of a chip. Cut slow, and you will probably need to use some water (check the instructions that came with the blade)
suprvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:42 PM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,136

This place is always fun............

1. Mark your hole.
2. Use the grinder to score the surface of the tile to relieve some surface tension. No water necessary.
3. Plunge cut the pie slices within the circular relief cut with your wet saw.
4. Make as many pie slices as you can.
5. Gently break away the pie slices from the top side.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:48 PM   #7

Hey there.

I have to agree with everyone who mentioned that cutting holes is tricky and problematic. No matter how many tiles you hav cut, you are still going to ruin some.

Saying that, Dremel has come to my rescue. They sell diamond bits for cutting tile. I have remodeled several bathrooms, and believe in the small things add up to big impressions. I cut perfect holes for wall plumbing and even for toilet flanges. How? I use the aforementioned bits in my serpentine saw with a hole cutting attachment with, of course, alot of water. These are definately disposable bits as I have found that one toilet equals one bit! But... totally worth it. Saves you time, money, tiles AND headaches.
I truly hope this helps you.

~Morley
icandothat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #8

I highly recommend using a grinder for this. I'm not sure why the tile would be breaking off unless your blade has teeth or the tile is very weak.

A couple of years ago, I cut two large circles in tiles in my bathroom using a diamond blade on a $40 angle grinder. I did have a few breaks, but it wasn't too bad (on slate ... which isn't very hard). You can see the in progress pics here: http://ourcastlereno.blogspot.com/20...-step-two.html. The finished product is here: http://ourcastlereno.blogspot.com/20...tep-eight.html.

Good luck!
anizeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
This place is always fun............

1. Mark your hole.
2. Use the grinder to score the surface of the tile to relieve some surface tension. No water necessary.
3. Plunge cut the pie slices within the circular relief cut with your wet saw.
4. Make as many pie slices as you can.
5. Gently break away the pie slices from the top side.
Listen to "The Man" ....He knows what he's talking about.

Polywanna is offline   Reply With Quote