Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #1

Share |

crack in grout at corners

I moved into my new construction home 7 months ago.

I have ceraminc tiles for the 3 sides of the shower stall and 3 sides above the tub.

There are now cracks in the grout along the entire vertical length of the 2 corners of the shower stall and the tile above the tub. In one place about 1" in length the group is gone.

The builder has to fix it.

I want to make sure he does it right.

Should he re-grout, or should he forget about the grout and caulk instead?
I don't want this to problem to repeat in a few months.

ieee488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
Tileguy

Corners (and all changes-in-plane) should never be grouted. They should always be caulked.

Don't allow them to use caulk over the existing grout. The grout should be totally removed before caulking.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Corners (and all changes-in-plane) should never be grouted. They should always be caulked.

Don't allow them to use caulk over the existing grout. The grout should be totally removed before caulking.
I was at Home Depot today and I saw that there are tools for it, but will it require a lot of brute force, or is it fairly easy to remove the grout once it has started cracking like this?

In some of the corners, the cracks are just hairline. Should I remove the grout, or wait until the cracks get bigger?

Also, how urgent is this? Should I really push hard to get the repair done ASAP?
ieee488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:58 PM   #4
Tileguy

Home centers sell inexpensive grout saws. I would do it now, waiting may cause water damage.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote