Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-10-2010, 01:04 PM   #1

Share |

Countertop sealant leaves granite with a dull finish?

Hi. New here.

I just bought my first brand new condo in a newly built building that has a nice granite countertop in the kitchen and bathrooms.

When someone told me to apply sealant on the counterop (I'm learning about the joys of homeownership as I go), I marched down to Home Depot and got me a spray bottle.

I cleaned the countertop and sprayed all over, making sure to cover every inch. Per directions on the bottle, I let it sit and soak. I wiped off the excess and was left with a dull surface from my brand new countertop.

I'm supposed to trade in a nice shiny surface for a dull one all because of a sealant? Sorry. I took a wet rag and scrubbed off the sealant. I'm returning the sealant for a refund at Home Depot.

I decided I didn't like the results from the sealant. Maybe I'll try coating the counter with some polish and wax instead.

Any thoughts?

HeyItsJoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:59 PM   #2

Joel,
Check in with a local, reputable granite shop. They should be able to sell you the cleaner and sealer they use when they do installs. Don't use wax.
Mike Hawkins

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:42 PM   #3

What did you use? Call the manufacturer for advice. With SCI (sold at Home Depot), you might have to re-spray it to get it wet & then use a terry towel to get the residue off.

By the way, I have not been impressed with Stone Care's customer service. Maybe someone's been on vacation, but I've called twice & never actually spoken to a person.
lazzlazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:18 AM   #4

it's also possible that your granite is so dense no sealer will penetrate it; thus the dull finish is sealer sitting on top. i don't know if there is a garden variety code to go by based on the code but i own absolute black and they will not seal. they also will not stain so i don't mind much. granite density is a big one with the sealing. not all granites will require it.
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:48 PM   #5

I picked up two SCI products the other day at a local plumbing supply I buy from. The counter person I know said they have been selling the SCI products for awhile and have gotten good feedback. My wife tried them today. The first was a spray cleaner called 'Marbamist'. She liked it and said it worked well. It is meant for day to day use if necessary. The second is called 'Countertop Polish'. She followed the instructions and did what the bottle said. It is supposed to dry to a haze, then you buff it off with a soft towel. She was having some difficulty getting rid of the haze so she grabbed my sons buffer with a foam pad that he uses on his car and ran that over the countertops. I wasn't home when she did this and had to laugh when she told me. It shined the counters up pretty nice. I think it takes a bit more elbow grease to get rid of the haze if you are doing it by hand.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firehawkmph For This Useful Post:
drtbk4ever (08-06-2014)
Old 05-21-2010, 03:47 AM   #6

this is true and neither one of those sound like a sealer which could be why it was a success. there are a couple other threads on here if you search about granite sealing. some of it just is too dense to seal. this is a good thing though since it won't allow water or the dreaded red kool-aid to stain it.
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:00 AM   #7

why's everyone expect an apron store to sell quality stuff ? 1/2 the stuff on their shelves is on consignment, anyway.

we also have granite c-tops but, unbeknownst to my bride, nagzilla, i use a brillo pad to clean 'em,,, granite's porous & absorbs more wtr than marble,,, however, IF the top's been properly polished, you shouldn't need a sealer,,, that does raise the issue few tops are polished to the level grit we required.

even we can scratch granite however its fairly durable.

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote