Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2009, 06:53 PM   #1
Household Handyman

Share |

Could it be re-grouted?

I know pictures are worth a thousand words but I don't have any with me. My sisters house is 200 miles away. Here's the scenario: They had a complete kitchen remodel done about two years ago. A really high quality, high dollar job, everything still looks really good with one exception. She had a new granite counter-top installed with a cook-top mounted in it. The wall behind it was tiled, very extensive design, really gorgeous. Where this counter-top and back tiled back wall meet there was (in my opinion) an excessive gap to begin with, at least 3/4", with the counter-top fitting under the tiled wall. The tiled wall (backsplash) was done first, the counter-top put in second. The counter guys grouted this gap and it looked fair at first, now it's cracked all to Hell. It's also really a dusty grout, you can rub your finger across it and it just powders out. The General Contractor who did her job went bankrupt later, she has no recourse against him. Who, as in-tile person, or counter person should she contact to fix this problem? Thanks, David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:22 PM   #2
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Could it be re-grouted?

The gap between the counter and the tile should be caulked, not grouted. Your sister will continue to have this issue is regrouted. Grout should be removed and then caulked.
This sounds to me like the tile setters issue. A qualified tile installer should know when to grout and when to caulk.
BTW, counters should be installed first, then tile

Old 02-23-2009, 06:11 AM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

Could it be re-grouted?

If the gap is this big be sure a tile setter you talk to knows about and has backer rods in stock. (not many understand proper caulking). And gap this big needs to be fit with the correct size backer rod and the correct type caulking. Caulking should be selected to match the grout color.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:27 PM   #4
Household Handyman

Could it be re-grouted?

Thanks guys. There was, of course, an issue with the counter top delivery vs. the tile people being able to do their work. The tile was first. The tile people, three nice ladies, seemed much more knowledgeable about their work than the counter guys. I'll relay this message on to my sister. My recommendation would be to see if she could get the tile lady back out, without blaming her, to see what she can do in this situation. Thanks, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:54 PM   #5
Remodeling Contractor

Could it be re-grouted?

These tile setters if they were professionals would know that the granite must be installed first. Clearly the tile needs to set on the granite with a slight gap. But more than that to set the granite they sometimes need working room and might need to cut into the wall to get everything fit. Tile cannot go up first.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:02 PM   #6
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Could it be re-grouted?

I agree with Bob whole-heartedly. Not only did the installer(s), no matter how nice, set the tile at the wrong time. On top of that, they knowingly used grout in an area that caulk must be used.
It is absolutely the tile setters fault.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:31 PM   #7

Could it be re-grouted?

closed-cell backer rod & either sika or sonneborn polyurethane sealant or equal mtl from another source,,, NEVER CAULK ! ! ! it comes in various colors to match OR compliment ! ! !

no habla ' bailout '

yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote