DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Could I use this stone tile in a shower?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  eclark 
#1 ·
We picked out this as our accent tile to just go the perimeter about shoulder height around the shower we are redoing. The floor and walls will all be travertine. The sales associated said he wouldn't use this because of the ledge and the water would permeate the tile and could ruin something behind the stone. What are your thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
You should be safe--that is most likely a cast material and will not absorb water.

If your new enclosure is waterproofed properly and thinset is used--then no harm would be done if some moisture did get behind your stone.

How are your walls being waterproofed?

#5 ·
I believe that those are cast --not carved out of solid travertine.

Before you go any further---ask what waterproofing is being used before the tile is applied--also what thinset will be used.

No bucket mixed mastic---no drywall in a wet area----ask---

Stone and grout will allow water to pass to the tile backer--they are not waterproof--- sealing thestone and grout will not make the surface waterproof--only easier to keep clean.

Travertine is a soft and absorbent stone---so waterproofing the walls before installing is critical.

#7 ·
It's worth considering that unglazed materials, whether stone or cast will absorb water. It needs a membrane behind it for sure and would be tough to clean because of the detail of the shape and because it will also likely absorb soap with the water, leading to mile and soap scum. I would avoid it in the shower but probably okay for the rest of the bathroom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.