DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

concrete floor prep for tile

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Bud Cline 
#1 ·
The painter left a haze of paint on concrete floor that won't scrape off.Can i use a masonary cleaner ie; diluted muratic acid to clean the floor
or should apply a latex bonding agent over the film?
i am using a 18" x 18' porceain tile . Any advantage on using the modified thinset

#2 ·
Soap and hot water and a stiff brush would be my choice--Enough of the over spray should lift to give you a good bond.

The muriatic acid could be used if the surface is rinsed several times and allowed to dry--but the fumes inside a house could cause some damage to every thing in the area---over kill---I don't recommend it.

I always use a modified thinset---also look into leveling clips for a tile that large--Lash by QEP is good and Tuscan are nice.

Reactions: kt82
#3 ·
Muriatic acid WILL NOT remove paint. That's not how that acid works. Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) attacks the components of the cement. If the acid can't get to the cement it will do absolutely nothing.

That acid should never be used indoors anyway, it is an EXTREME health hazard. After its use it must also be neutralized.

I think you are worrying too much about nothing. Just install the tile. The size of the tile will likely bridge the paint and take care of the paint issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.