Cleaning Grout From Porous Mosaic Tile - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2015, 09:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 52

Cleaning Grout From Porous Mosaic Tile

I had someone install a mosaic tile backsplash in my kitchen a few weeks ago. The tile is a mix of glass, stone and metal (to be honest, the stone is probably faux and the "metal" is actually stone covered with a thin layer of something that looks metal-ish).

The problem is after they grouted the black stone pieces are now speckled white from the grout. I included a pic below to show what I'm talking about.

Is there any way to remove the grout that is left in the pits, nooks, and crannies without damaging the tile or grout?

Thanks!

Cleaning Grout From Porous Mosaic Tile-2015-06-06-12.51.46.jpg

Advertisement

TeeRiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:30 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 5,714

It's going to be tough--vinegar and a tooth brush--might need to use sulfamic acid--available from any good tile shop----some grout touch up might be needed.

Advertisement

Old 06-11-2015, 05:34 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply Mike. I was afraid cleaning the excess grout would probably damage the grout. If I do damage the grout I want to keep, what is the best way to re-grout?

Should I remove the grout all together and re-grout completely or can I simply re-grout over top of the existing grout?

Thanks!
Old 06-11-2015, 08:52 PM   #4
DIY staff

What kind of grout is that--I forgot to ask---
Old 06-11-2015, 09:25 PM   #5

Hi Mike,

It is Custom Building Products Polyblend Non-Sanded grout (Bright White) from Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-Bu...8110/100553533

It was not my first choice of grout to be honest, but all I could find on short notice.

Thanks!
Old 06-12-2015, 05:27 AM   #6
DIY staff

That is a good grout---try a little vinager in one tile--see if it will help---you can't use anything to caustic or the metal tiles will be spoiled.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:37 PM   #7

Just a quick update - I used a grout brush and some vinegar. It seems to be lightening the specks up some. I even tried a Magic Eraser and vinegar on a tile just under a cabinet as a test. It seemed to lighten the specks as well some. Yeah, it's going to take some elbow grease and probably several scrubs to get it all.

Someone recommended using a nylon bristled cup brush with a drill to help remove the grout specks. Something similar to this - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004YYD2/ .

Do you think it would work to remove the grout specks or could it cause more harm than help?

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2015, 05:58 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 49

Scraping off dried spattered grout on tiles with a razor might work. That's what I did to my Travertine tiles that had some dried grout smudges. A razor is also what I use to clean up stuff that gets cooked and sticks stubbornly on my glass stove top. I use diluted dish detergent as lubricant.

Advertisement

Druidia is offline   Reply With Quote