Clean Glue Off Old Tile - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Clean glue off old tile

I was trying to decide whether or not to replace the ugly vinyl tile on my second bathroom rehab. It's going to be a rental, so I wasn't too worried about style.

Of course, my curiosity got the best of me, and I had to see what was underneath.

Hmmm, could it be something old and interesting? Is this is the tile from the 1948 rehab???

I had to find out now. So I scraped, and scraped, and scraped, and tried every chemical I had in my arsenal... as it turns out, the "ready-Strip" paint stripper worked the best. And here is what I found.

Very retro cool. I would spend the time to restore this stuff, even just for the rental. My question though is how to best clean it. Even in the last picture, it's still not all that clean. Whatever glue they used to put down the vinyl crap does not want to come up. Just wondering if there is a preferred solvent for that old glue...

Advertisement

Andiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
Pro

Rewards Points: 502

Clean glue off old tile

Before you end up spending a lot in stripping chemicals I would suggest "easy off" blue can let it sit for hour. That stuff does wonders.

Advertisement

JetSwet is online now   Reply With Quote