Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #1

Share |

Ceramic Tile Somewhat Uneven Basement Concrete Slab

So I'm ready to start prepping to lay down some tile on my basement floor 11'x20' room. I've been walking around the room with a cut spare piece of sheetrock as a level (8' length) and noticed there are definitely some waves to the floor (house built in 64'). It's kind of funny as if I lay the level down there could be a a little see-saw action where I might get anywhere from a 0.5" to almost a full inch gap. If I 'balance' the level I might get just a 0.5" average. The part that really stinks is there's definitely a bit of a dip at the entrance though not terrible, perhaps .25" or so. The entrance however is where it transitions to another room with a floor I don't plan on touching for a long time. What would be my best bet around this? I think 'fluffing' thinset might be a bit of a stretch. My buddy recommended a 3/4" trowel (12" tile) anyways due to the concrete in addition to using some leveling compound in the bad areas.

Should I use the SLC and if so would I just try to feather it as best as possible where the room transitions to the floor at the entrance? With the SLC and the thinset and the tile I fear a decent sized height difference here. Should I just use SLC on the whole room as well instead of patch work? I got the buckets, the heavy duty drill and mixer so I could do it properly. Just read some not so great experiences with SLC and was curious if its more trouble than it's worth. Also, for the edges of the room I have wood paneling that goes half way up the wall. Would I just use some painters tape as a barrier from the SLC? Thanks!

knight508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
DIY staff

If the floor is that wavy ,use the SLC---I've used plenty over the years---read the directions---and follow them---remember--you must push the product around --and not waist any time---

Old 10-15-2013, 04:23 PM   #3

I ended up using the SLC Levelquik RS and it was "okay". Still have a couple trouble spots but overall it sort-of worked out to a "good enough" state. I wasn't really impressed at all by the "self leveling" properties. I felt as though I added a touch more of water, say 8oz. to the whole pail it would have worked better but I chose to follow the directions exact. Definitely have the floor squeegee ready to spread.
knight508 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knight508 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (10-15-2013)
Old 10-15-2013, 06:03 PM   #4
DIY staff

It's a learning curve----You do need to get it almost level with a trowel or rake---then it will flow out flat----

I use Jifset---never had an issue----

Tags
compound, leveling, slc, uneven