Ceramic Tile Over Asbestos Tile Question - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2011, 12:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 266

Ceramic tile over asbestos tile question

I was reading one of the threads up here last week and noticed there was some talk about how ceramic tile shouldn't be laid on top of some other tile type.

I'm hoping to put down new ceramic tile this summer in my entire basement and I want to do it right. I have 9 inch files down original to the house (1959) which I'm told as asbestos. My dad, who's going to help me lay the tile since he's done it a bunch, told me it's better to just lay on top of the old tile and not deal with the asbestos.

Does this pose a problem? Will there be any problems? I could have the old tile pulled up but I would think that would pose some problems with leveling and making the floor flat, but since I'm putting 5k of tile down (over ~1000sqft) I certainly don't want there to be adhesion problems in 5 to 10 years.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Advertisement

MLMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
I can tie my own shoes

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLMIB View Post
I was reading one of the threads up here last week and noticed there was some talk about how ceramic tile shouldn't be laid on top of some other tile type.

I'm hoping to put down new ceramic tile this summer in my entire basement and I want to do it right. I have 9 inch files down original to the house (1959) which I'm told as asbestos. My dad, who's going to help me lay the tile since he's done it a bunch, told me it's better to just lay on top of the old tile and not deal with the asbestos.

Does this pose a problem? Will there be any problems? I could have the old tile pulled up but I would think that would pose some problems with leveling and making the floor flat, but since I'm putting 5k of tile down (over ~1000sqft) I certainly don't want there to be adhesion problems in 5 to 10 years.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

First off, get it tested to make sure it does/does not have asbestos. You can buy test kits at HD and send the sample in. You could also see if there is a lab for testing those type of materials around you. You lose $30 for the mail in test results. Cheapest route. If you are going to go over it with tile, then it doesn't matter but you may want to know to just know.

Best advice is to ask the store where you bought the tile (assuming it was not HD or Lowes) for their recommendations but otherwise I agree with your dad, just do it right over the top. The added height increase is not that significant because the vinyl is pretty thin stuff. I would never put ceramic tile on top of ceramic tile but beyond that, you might be ok. If the floor has several layers of tilings/coverings, then that is a different matter. If the floor is just concrete>vinyl tile, then no biggie. Leveling is another problem but if that is ok then no worries.

If you find out that the tile does have asbestos and you want it out, be prepared because you should call out a remediation company for it. It is a toxic waste material. It will not be cheap.

dennis

Advertisement

Last edited by algored2deth; 01-10-2011 at 12:58 PM.
algored2deth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:16 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,254

Hi Mike,

How is removing the old tiles going to change the level or flatness of the slab?

There is no need to have the tiles tested, I guarantee they contain some asbestos.

I totally disagree with your father. First of all, your '59 vintage 9x9 tiles are most likely asphalt tiles. Are they 9x9 x1/8" thick? If they're 1/16" they are vinyl asbestos. There was no such thing as "asbestos" tiles. Both asphalt and vinyl asbestos contained some asbestos, but totally irrelevant unless you sand and breathe the dust for a long time.

If they were vinyl asbestos, it is possible to install over them, but it's not a smart move. It is likely that not all of the old tiles are stuck well, especially around the perimeter. You need to remove the tiles and then cut away as much of the old black adhesive as possible. That black tar based adhesive probably also contains asbestos. Again no problem, just make no dust. Misting the floor as you work will help if you see dust.

Use this to remove the tiles;http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...:0&tx=54&ty=83

Then a scraper like this to cut the adhesive until you see concrete;http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...1t:429,r:0,s:0

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (01-10-2011)
Old 01-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 266

Jazman,

So it is safe for me to mist the section of tiles and just do it myself? With a respirator I assume for safety and all the exits sealed, right? I mean what do I need to do to be safe...

And how do I get rid of the waste then? Would I need to prep the concrete after that?

-Mike
MLMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:58 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,254

It is unlikely you will create asbestos dust from removing the tiles, you are not going to sand them. The asbestos fivers are imbedded within the tiles, so even if the tiles crumble it doesn't mean the small crumbs of tiles are dangerous. However I/we always suggest to just mist it to be safe, why not? So, asbestos fibers only pose a potential problem when they are friable......in the air.

It's always smart to use a respirator approved for the task. Seal off the rooms, window fan blowing put is good too.

Disposal may vary by location. Usually tile are double bagged and labeled. Ask you town what to do.

Let us know what you find after the tiles are gone.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote