Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2010, 10:27 AM   #1

Share |

ceramic tile

For a small bathroom 5' wide would it make it look larger if we laid the tile on a diagonal?

dk5364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:03 AM   #2

ceramic tile

Smaller rooms look better with smaller tile, square or diagonal, in my opinion.

What size are your tiles?

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
HD Social Media

ceramic tile

Hey there dk5364,

This is Mr. Jay with The Home Depot out in Chicago.

Great question! In my experience, I’ve had better luck design wise doing just what you had planned. As a rule of thumb in design for small rooms; a larger, lighter tile can usually help to make the room seem larger. You would want to put it on a diagonal so that it leads your eyes and helps expand the room. For that size room though, I wouldn’t go over a 12x12 tile.

If you want to open it up a bit more, and are painting while you’re at it; another trick is to paint the shorter wall at the end a tiny shade lighter. It gives you the illusion of more depth to the room, which really helps sometimes in tiny rooms like that. It’s come in handy for me at my house. =)

Let me know how that helps, and post up some pictures if you do decide to tile it up!~

- Mr. Jay
[I’m a Home Depot Store Associate, trained and authorized to help people on the Internet]
AskMrJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:23 PM   #4

ceramic tile

A light coloured tile will help in your case.
Polywanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:53 PM   #5
Tileguy

ceramic tile

Quote:
[Iím a Home Depot Store Associate, trained and authorized to help people on the Internet]
This should prove to be interesting.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:07 AM   #6

ceramic tile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline

This should prove to be interesting.
Coorperate advertising belongs in other forums. This is a diy forum, not promote a large home improvement chain. If you have real world experience by all means.

Bud your right this should be interesting.
ianc435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:52 AM   #7
A Little Of Everything

ceramic tile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk5364 View Post
For a small bathroom 5' wide would it make it look larger if we laid the tile on a diagonal?
That's what they say, yes. Smaller tile will also give it the appearance of being a bit bigger.

You might also want to consider some of the small tiles on 12"x12" sheets. We did the floor in a small bathroom in my son's house with some of those, and it turned out very nicely.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:00 PM   #8
Tileguy

ceramic tile

Quote:
Coorperate advertising belongs in other forums. This is a diy forum, not promote a large home improvement chain. If you have real world experience by all means.

Bud your right this should be interesting.
Most (not all) of the big box experts have little to no experience in any of this stuff. They are brainwashed and can only talk about what their store tells them to talk about with no real field experience. In fact most of those chains prohibit their employees (as a condition of their employment) from being in a place like this and identifying themselves as such.

Why would they be any smarter or wiser or knowledgeable here than they are in the stores isles wearing that stupid apron with their name scribbled on it in Magic Marker?

Those stores offer little to no training except to promote one of their loss-leaders.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:08 PM   #9

ceramic tile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline
Most (not all) of the big box experts have little to no experience in any of this stuff. They are brainwashed and can only talk about what their store tells them to talk about with no real field experience. In fact most of those chains prohibit their employees (as a condition of their employment) from being in a place like this and identifying themselves as such.

Why would they be any smarter or wiser or knowledgeable here than they are in the stores isles wearing that stupid apron with their name scribbled on it in Magic Marker?

Those stores offer little to no training except to promote one of their loss-leaders.
Yeah

Did i tell you guys i am a home depot quality control officer.
Did you know we sell cheap garbage from china and all our cast pipe fitting leak like hell. Also our line on husky tools a a real steal, for us that is. Our power tool transmissions are bulit out of plastic and are not as rugged as other stuff built wth aluminum because we don't care if your stuff blows up. You will buy more.

ianc435 is offline   Reply With Quote