Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #1

Share |

Ceramic plank tile installation question = More Difficult than standard tile?

I'm planning on putting in ceramic plank tiles that mimic hard wood flooring. One of the contractors I had in for an estimate said he charges more because it's a more tedious installation, and needs more time to lay the tile. He said this isn't a novice job, because you don't want to show a lot of grout lines, so that it mimics the hard wood floor look. Is this legit, or is he trying to take me for a ride? I have laid tile before, I put down travertine last year in my powder room bath. I would just like to hear your thoughts, and if I should consider doing this myself, or if it really is harder than regularly shaped tile flooring.

gtothek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:54 AM   #2

No harder then any other tile, just needs a perfectly soild floor and flat subfloor so the long skinny tiles do not crack.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:57 AM   #3

The one contractor said that the tiles really need to butt up against each other, and that its not an easy job for a novice. Is that true? Is it just more time consuming, and could that be why he would charge more?
Old 10-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
Tileguy

I gotta disagree with Joe. The contractor is right, those planks will take more time to install and if the floor isn't real flat it'll also not turn out as good as smaller tiles. Any tile 15" or larger is considered large and is more difficult to work with. Butting tiles together with little or no gap is not recommended and will only increase the degree of difficulty. excessive lippage may be a problem unless the substrate is very flat.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #5

The tile planks are 24"x 6". To get the look of hardwood, what grout line size should be used? 1/16, 3/32? Should I leave this to the contractor, or try it myself? I want it to look good, so not sure if I should do it.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
DIY staff

One more thing--the long planks are usually dished a bit---causing lippage problems---Jaz had a good description of the safest setting methods on a thread some time ago----

Jaz?
Old 10-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #7

What do you mean by "dished a bit"?
Old 10-04-2012, 11:08 PM   #8
Tileguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Jaz had a good description of the safest setting methods on a thread some time ago----
[QUOTEgtothek]What do you mean by "dished a bit"?[/QUOTE]

All large tiles have a tendency to be warped a bit in the manufacturing process, sometimes more than others. So the center is curved up more than the ends, higher in other words. When setting large rectangular tiles it's best to offset the rows about 1/3 instead of 50% as in an running-bond pattern. (brick). This will minimize lippage because of the tile.

In addition, the industry recommends no grout line be less than 1/8" wide and that is if the quality of the tiles are high. Tiles are not always the same size.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (10-05-2012)
Old 10-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #9

Thanks Jaz. Do you think DITRA is a better underlayment than backboard for this type of tile? Is there a difference?
Old 10-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #10
Tileguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtothek View Post
Thanks Jaz. Do you think DITRA is a better underlayment than backboard for this type of tile? Is there a difference?
Yes, absolutely, I highly recommend Ditra over backer boards.

Jaz