Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2008, 09:32 PM   #1

Share |

ceramic over linolium?

In my kitchen and hall way i have ceramic tile. I just had a leak in the water line running to the fridge and now the tile is popping up. Also before this happened i had some problems with some tiles cracking and coming up along with grout coming out. I found out that i have a 3/4" plywood sub floor with 1/2" press board and then linolium. The previous owner then laid down 1/4" cement board and then 6"x6" ceramic tile. I am planning on ripping up all the tile and cement board and then replacing them. There is no thinset under the cement board so it should come up easy and then i will redo it with thinset/cement board/thinset/12" tiles. Do i need to rip up the linolium and press board before i lay the cement board or can i lay the cement board on top of the linolium? Thank for help with this and any other advice on this.

ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:11 PM   #2
Residential Contractor

ceramic over linolium?

If I were in your position I would take it back to the 3/4ply then build back w/ 1 layer 5/8" ply field nailed not to the joists, thinset down 1/4" Hardi backer, then tile. I say this without seeing the floor jost system just to be safe. I dont want to get way deep into why because I have been told by a moderator to keep it simple. If you would like to know the reasoning pm me!!!!

Tracy

Tracymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:37 AM   #3

ceramic over linolium?

What is the best way to pull up the linolium and 1/2" press board without damaging the 3/4" plywood? I assume the board is nailed to the 3/4" plywood and linolium is glued down in some way. Is it a bad idea to go over the linolium with hardi? Thanks

Last edited by ponch37300; 11-26-2008 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:05 AM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

ceramic over linolium?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch37300 View Post
What is the best way to pull up the linolium and 1/2" press board without damaging the 3/4" plywood? I assume the board is nailed to the 3/4" plywood and linolium is glued down in some way....Thanks
There's only one way to find out, you simply have to start ripping it out. there is no telling how the lino. and Press board is attached.

Quote:
.... Is it a bad idea to go over the linolium with hardi? Thanks
You can attach new cement board over the old 3/4" and lino. You can even use 1/2" CBU. Make sure that the CBU is completely attached to the 3/4" Plywood.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:31 AM   #5

ceramic over linolium?

Thanks atlantic, right now there is 3/4" plywood then 1/2" particle board, then the linolium and then 1/4" cement board then tile. Can i just rip down to the linolium and then thinset and attach cement board over the 3/4" ply/half inch particle board/linolium or would leaving this stuff cause any problems down the road? Thanks again for your help
Old 11-26-2008, 04:30 PM   #6
Tileguy

ceramic over linolium?

Listen Folks!!!!!

The partical board has no place in this installation. The entire tile industry poo-poohs the idea.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:38 PM   #7
Tileguy

ceramic over linolium?

Ponch,

Every step of your installation is wrong, no wonder it failed.

The first thing done wrong was to use particle board as an underlayment for any type of flooring. When ceramic was installed the particle board should have been removed. This is probably the biggest single reason for the failure? Another reason is that there is no thinset under the cement board.

You have to remove everything down to the subfloor, then you may install a cement backer and tiles, or Ditra instead of the backer. Installing more plywood before this step would be a good idea if you can or need it depending on the condition of the subfloor and what you plan to install.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 12:45 AM   #8
Residential Contractor

ceramic over linolium?

Ponch
Shoot me an email @tracy.mclaughlin@hormail.com and I will resond I am pretty new here and they wont let me pm until I have 20 posts I will go into why @ that point and the necessary steps w an explanation.
Trace
Tracymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 01:58 PM   #9

ceramic over linolium?

Thanks for the advice everybody. Is there any tips for ripping up the linolium/particle board?
Old 03-20-2011, 07:34 PM   #10

ceramic over linolium?

Use a hammer and a crow bar.
IceT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:38 PM   #11
Tileguy

ceramic over linolium?

IceT,

Almost every one of your posts are like this one. You are responding to a thread that hasn't been active in more than two years.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:54 PM   #12

ceramic over linolium?

Here is the question I was answering:
Quote:
Is there any tips for ripping up the linolium/particle board?
I answered:
Use a hammer and a crow bar.

So you think that is the same as my other posts??? what??
I have no comments of hammers in the other posts.. but i do like the look of the hammer guy, so maybe i should recommend that for other things..

Like lets see, my car will not start when I am headed to the job.. what could I do? pound on it, until it starts.

Last edited by IceT; 03-21-2011 at 04:57 PM. Reason: couldn't do a double quote
IceT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:14 PM   #13
Tileguy

ceramic over linolium?

Quote:
So you think that is the same
as my other posts??? what??
Not the same words!
I am seeing you responding to posts that haven't had any other activity in years. Just trying to save you some time. Look at the dates!