Cementboard And Bathtub Flange Gap Issue - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cementboard and bathtub flange gap issue

I've just put up some hardibacker around my bathtub to 1/8th above the top of the bathtub flange. Now looking at it the is almost a full inch from the bottom of the board to the top of the actual tub edge. I am installing glass pencil tile on the walls. I'm worried that they won't have anything to hold on to in that space. Here are the options I see.

1 - Put mesh tape and thinset (or just thinset) in the 1 inch gap.
2 - Put caulk in the 1 inch gap.
3 - Remove the boards and reinstall boards to 1/4 above tub. This would create a slight bend in the bottom of the boards because the metal studs don't align flush with the front surface of the tub flange (due to flange thickness).
4 - Remove the boards and install furring strips against my metal studs (don't even know if I can do that on metal stubs). Reinstall boards to 1/4 above tub. This would be a lot of work!

So obviously I want to go for option 1 or 2 but am not sure I can put thinset on the flange and I'm not sure caulk will hold well enough in a space that large. Thoughts???

Advertisement

n1Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,254

Hi Patrick,

You know the right answer as well as everyone reading this. You gotta do #4. Or, switch to larger tiles and continue with #1.

You learned a lesson, next time plan ahead better.

Jaz

Advertisement

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
n1Patrick (10-22-2012)
Old 10-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #3

I was afraid of this response. I read somewhere that it is Ok to fill the gap with caulk (option 2). But I'm guessing that is not a viable solution.

Can I get furring strips for metal studs? Do they come in different thickness such as 1/4 or 1/2 inch? Sorry for the silly questions but I've never had to do this before.

btw - Forgot to mention the pencil tile will be installed vertically (not sure that makes much of a difference).
Old 10-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 712

The gap is still far to big, got to lower those panels, no getting around it.
Anything will work as a shim, plywood, OSB, lattis strips. Just use a few fine thread sheetrock screws to attach it.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
Forgot to mention the pencil tile will be installed vertically (not sure that makes much of a difference).
Well DAHHHHHH! Of course it does Patrick. That was the problem when installed the normal way. You should be able to fill that gap with thinset, and install the tiles vertically. Would I guarantee it? No, cuz any movement might transfer to the tile work and cause grout cracks or worse.

Double check if 1/4" shims will be enough, might not take care of the corners. Lattice is ideal, but anything will work as Joe already mentioned.

Glass pencil tiles as your first project. Huh, should be fun.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Glass pencil tiles as your first project. Huh, should be fun.
uh oh, that response worries me.. I was planning on using my wet saw and maybe some nippers to cut the tile. Any special advice?

Advertisement

Tags
bathtub flange , cementboard , tiling