Cement Board On A Slab? - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2013, 06:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Cement board on a slab?

I have an a little over an inch to make up and am wondering if I can use a layer or two of cement board to do this or if it is better to use a dry pack. I will be making up the difference then laying heat mat on top and covering with self leveling. The floor consists of 1" he. Mats
2 ways to accomplish this=
1. Dry pack the mat and self leveling to proper subfloor height
2. Instal cement board right on the slab then heat mat and self leveling to proper height. I thought of skimming the floor with thunder then setting the board in this and if 2 layers needed buttering thin set on this and turning the sheet perpendicular....
I think the board is faster/cheaper and easier but don't know if its ok to do. First time laying this type of floor and looking for easiest best way for positive results

Advertisement

gwilkrrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:34 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,280

Cement board on a slab?

Cement board over a slab is not a good plan---attaching it without voids or lippage is not likely-----

Deck mud is time consuming,but dependable----

Advertisement

Old 11-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Cement board on a slab?

Fair enough- that seems to be the answer- I guess I was looking for an easy answer- the lack of math and ease of time and energy-- the area isn't huge but big enough (5'x15'). Does deck mud calculate the same for coverage as say concrete?
gwilkrrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:03 PM   #4
DIY staff

Cement board on a slab?

Sure it does----very inexpensive to mix your own---masons mortar is often used for a job like that----and premixed deck mud is available at many tile stores.

I use a cement mixer (I own one) for a really consistent mix---you can achieve the same results by hand mixing-------
Old 11-13-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,238

Cement board on a slab?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike
.....masons mortar is often used for a job like that----and premixed deck mud is available at many tile stores.
NO NO NO! Mike, surely you didn't mean to write "premixed" deck mud. I'm sure you meant to say "preblended" in bag, ready to be mixed. Premixed will be interpreted as it's already in paste form and we don't want that.

Mason's mortar is ok for walls and shower curbs where a sticky paste is what you want. Floors get deck mud which is sand/cement only.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.

Last edited by JazMan; 11-13-2013 at 08:32 PM.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
GBrackins (11-14-2013)
Old 11-13-2013, 10:14 PM   #6
DIY staff

Cement board on a slab?

OOPS----Poor choice of words----Listen to Jaz------
Old 11-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #7
Pro

Rewards Points: 502

Cement board on a slab?

Well you can get a bag of deck mud- drypack mortar OR sand and topping mix to achieve deck mud. Nothing with latex in it and make sure it's damp when finished mixing.

Advertisement

JetSwet is online now   Reply With Quote