Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2012, 10:53 PM   #1

Share |

Cement board over drywall during vinyl shower pan install

Hi guys, this is my first post. I haven't figured out how to add my city to my profile, but I'm in northern Ohio.

I'm adding a bathroom in our third floor finished attic, which is used as the living room, with home theater, kids toys, etc.

The shower is a stand up, with a vinyl pan. The plumbing wall separates the bathroom from the rest of the space, and I'm concerned about shower noise and other bathroom noise passing in to the living space.

I understand the best way to limit noise is by using a heavy wall... The guys who do sound deadening recommend two layers of 3/4" drywall.

However, I'm planning on tiling the shower walls. I understand the ideal installation is to nail the flange on the shower pan to studs, then use vapor barrier, then attach cbu to the studs down to the flange.

My question is: what are the consequences of installing the cbu over the drywall-- which I'd like to use for sound deadening-- instead of to studs?

asc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:13 PM   #2
long island, NY

OK, soundproofing... this is something I actually know about. Not pro-level, but I researched it very heavily when we soundproofed the ceiling and walls separating our apartment from the rest of the home.

Putting 2 layers of dry wall up will do practically nothing. Think of sound as if it were water. the sound will spill over the double-layered wall and will go through the ceiling drywall over the wall and down into the adjacent room.

HVAC ducts only make the sound transmission worse. Most in-wall insulation provides only minimal improvement. You also have to sound proof electical outlets, as they are holes in the wall that sound can spill through. Doors are also a big problem.

The best sound proofing bang for the buck would be to do a double layer of dry wall with a layer of green glue between... on both the walls AND the ceilings. Alternatively, you can use sound proofing clips to decouple the sound between the wall and the house framing.

Really, you need to think about what sounds you want to deaden. If it's air transmitted sounds of higher frequencies (voices), it's a bit easier than if you want to blunt foot steps or other vibrational sound of low frequency that travels through the house framing.

After all that, you then have to worry about how to do this practically under shower walls! Honestly, it would be much easier to sound proof the adjacent room walls. Do the green glue and sound proof the outlets. Sound proofing is wildly expensive... green glue is the least painful of the options.

here's a great website which taught me a lot....
http://www.soundisolationcompany.com...hp/education-2

good luck!

Last edited by diy'er on LI; 02-24-2012 at 11:24 PM.
diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:22 PM   #3

There should be no drywall used under tile in a wet area. Cement tile board only.
A simple layer of fiber glass insulation will help deaden the sound.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:19 AM   #4
Tool Geek

I agree with Joe
ref: Shower has drywall (not green) can I install Cement board Right over it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Stay Safe
.....Bob Lavery
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:34 AM   #5
DIY staff

Not drywall in a wet area----
Old 02-25-2012, 07:16 AM   #6

Ok, got it loud and clear!

The tile will end at some point... Do I treat the transition to drywall as a regular drywall joint?
asc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:19 AM   #7
DIY staff

Tilers mesh--added as you tile--hide the joint with your tile---