DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Cement Board to Green Board Question

12K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Bob Mariani 
#1 ·
In my bathroom that I am building from scratch I have a standard bathtub in place that I am going to surround with tile. The length of the room is around 7 feet and the tub is 5 feet long so I had to build a wall basically on all 3 sides. I used cement board on those 3 walls. Now my question is where the greenboard and the cement board will meet on the back wall is at the outside corner. What is the proper procedure on making this corner right. I am going to be putting a tile boarder piece right up to the corner then the opposite corner will just be regular wall. Would it be right to use a metal or plastic 90 degree corner bead and attach it to the cement board and also to the greenboard? I was thinking that would be the best solution but I am not reallly sure. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

#5 ·
It depends on where you live. In some areas regular drywall is still accepted.
It's code in Arkansas - I've used it but I haven't placed it within 3 feet of the shower, not intentionally - the design plan just worked out that way.

#9 ·
It is a common one, but not the best. Two issues. One it must be applied perfectly with at least two coats with adequate drying between them. Two: if water does penetrate and it does the grout this product is latex based and will re-emulizify. (Test it.... pour some out, wait a month and place in a glass of water... back to a liquid it will go)

The best method IMHO is to use sheet waterproofing membranes like Kerdi or those from Noble.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.