Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #1

Share |

cbu or ditra

i have 400 sg ft of 20 x 20 porcelain to lay in a kitchen/laundry/bath and pantry. i have removed the vinyl and underlayment, the underlayment was installed on 3/4" OSB floor joists are engineered 12 7/8" on 16" centers. when i removed the 3/8" underlayment it left a few divits in the floor where it pulled up some of the osb (not too deep maybe a 1/16" or so) the floor is failrly flat after sanding the OSB joints to remove the tenting that occured from rain when we built the house. enough of my rambling, i was wondering if cbu would be better to lay than the ditra XL to cover the divits and other non flat surfaces, my concern is lippage with these large format tiles.

prancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
Tileguy

cbu or ditra

Prancer,

A few lost strands in the OSB shouldn't matter. Peaked seams means the panels were not gapped correctly and/or it stayed wet a long time. I have no idea whether you sanding the seams is enough. Since you didn't indicate where the house is located, I have no idea what king of weather you're experiencing now. The subfloor, and the entire house will keep expanding and then shrink when the heating season starts full time.

Neither CBU nor Ditra is going to change how flat the floor is or isn't. Check it using an 8-10 ft. straight edge, laser or string and evaluate. For large and/or smooth-shiny tiles the floor needs to be flat within 1/8" in 10 ft. and 1/16" in 12" of the required plane. Your concern about lippage is well founded. May want to consider a leveling system like LASH or Tuscan, more $$$$ but worth it with monsters like that.

I recommend Ditra, but it'll cost you a lot more $$$. Make the floor flat before Ditra, or make the floor flat after CBU.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:58 PM   #3

cbu or ditra

jaz, the house is located in utah, and was built 20 years ago. we did build in the winter so the floor was wet for some time. which leveling system do you prefer?
Old 11-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
Tileguy

cbu or ditra

I have used LASH a few times, works pretty good. I've got nothing else to compare it to though. The Tuscan seems to be the best, but haven't felt the need to spend the extra money. Or should I say haven't found the right customer that gave me a blank check for it.

Either way, a leveling system does not eliminate the need for a flat floor. Be sure to use the right thinset and mix it right cuz tiles will droop into the thinset which is another reason to use a leveling system.

Is there a basement under your home?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:18 PM   #5

cbu or ditra

yes there is a basement under the home, i am going to use ultraflex 2 under the ditra and kerabond on top for the tiles. i wish i could find ditraset for the work but no one here carries it. i really wanted to have a medium bed for the tiles but no one seems to have a non-modified. what trowel should i use for setting the tile? will a 1/2 x 1/2 work with the kerabond if i mix it a little on the thick side then back butter the tiles?
Old 11-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
Tileguy

cbu or ditra

Half inch and back-butter is what I would do, perfect. Kerabond is good stuff, you'll be fine.

Jaz