Which Caulk??? - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-23-2011, 01:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 79

Which Caulk???

Is there any one caulk substance that is so much better than the others?

I have wasted more than several hours trying to find info rather than post this here. Better to get it from some people who actually have repetative experience.

I was going to use mapei sanded matching grout, but have seen some really bad caulk shrinkage... like a nightmare. (siliconized acrylic?)

It seems like siliconized acrylic is the standard, but that it totally sucks, and 100% silicone is the way to go, at a mild sacrifice for color.
There may also be sanded silicone?

I have to do the corners and the tub line with the caulk, correct?
Does Clear Silicone look good.

(I am using a light grey shade of sanded grout with boost.)
Attached Thumbnails
Which Caulk???-some-old-some-new-004a.jpg  

Advertisement

wraiththe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:26 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,620

Which Caulk???

Grout Boost Huh?
(sucker)

You should be aware (and I'm thinkin' you already know this from being here) that today's grouts are already modified and to add your own additives is to run the risk on wrecking the chemistry already in the product. I know I know, "but the Grout Boost label says"....

Propaganda.

And with the caulk. I have used siliconized or latex caulks since they have been on the market and rarely have had any issues with them. Shrinkage has never been a problem for me. You will get shrinkage from any caulk if you leave back-voids and don't fill the available space 100% with the caulk.

If you have convinced yourself that 100% silicone is the way to go then knock yourself out but once you ruin that new tile job with that damned 100% silicone caulk don't come back here crying about it.

Advertisement

Old 12-23-2011, 03:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 712

Which Caulk???

The surface has to be perfectly clean, wipe it down with rubbing alcohol, fill the tub 1/2 full of water, then apply the caulking. The next day let the water out.
There's companys that make hundreds of differant colors, some will even custom match a paint color. Not cheap but it can be done.
Here's just one of them.
http://www.sealantsdirect.com/?gclid...FYPc4AodSjynlg
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:57 AM   #4

Which Caulk???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Grout Boost
You should be aware (and I'm thinkin' you already know this from being here) that today's grouts are already modified and to add your own additives is to run the risk on wrecking the chemistry already in the product....

...once you ruin that new tile job with that damned 100% silicone caulk don't come back here crying about it.
I Checked with Mapei, they said it would be OK to add Grout Shield.

Would you care to elaborate on why the 100% silicone is a bad idea. I have had no real luck with siliconized acrylic, or any of the caulks from the big stores. Even after cleaning with isopropanol and using a dehimidifier to be sure everyhing was dry.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:05 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,620

Which Caulk???

Quote:
Would you care to elaborate on why the 100% silicone is a bad idea.
Nope! According to your other thread you have already made-up your mind so I won't waste any more of my time trying to talk you out of it. Good luck.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:10 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 712

Which Caulk???

If it's failing then most likly somethings moving. Tub not fully supported, loose tiles ect.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:02 PM   #7

Which Caulk???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Nope! According to your other thread you have already made-up your mind so I won't waste any more of my time trying to talk you out of it. Good luck.
I actually have several silicones and one silonconized acrylic. Making up one's mind requires reason. To reason requires reasons and facts (opinions too, but that leads to doing what you are told.) I had to pick something to get a move on, but I am open to suggestions and would rather make an informed decision.

Anything you can tell me would be greatly apprecitated. If I can take the advice I will.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:46 PM   #8
Facilities Maintenance

Rewards Points: 250

Which Caulk???

If you plan to paint it, use Urethene Caulk.

If you don't plant to paint it, use GE Silicone II.

Why? GE Silicone has a mildewcide in it. It kills mold before it forms. And it looks nice, too. Just gotta practice a bit first, because it can be very messy if you're nto careful.

However, you cannot paint it, because it will eat paint. And you need to keep it away from any surfaces where drinking water will be around (don't use around sinks etc and you'll be fine. For toilets, bathtubs, etc. it's good to go)

Urethene also has a mildewcide in it, but it's not acidic to where it will damage paint.

Both will work great for what you're doing.

Last edited by BigGuy01; 12-24-2011 at 06:52 PM.
BigGuy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #9

Which Caulk???

Hi,
I have tried to make the caulk lines as small as possible in the past, and feel less is better to a point.

For Caulking the tub and tile line; Please tell me if this is a good or bad idea?

If the bead is sealed against the wall-face side of the tile (left diagram,) then it would seem if any of the edge got loose, the water would try to go behind the bead, while if the top edge of the silicone bead was just below the tile against the small side edge(just like the grout,) then the water would be more likely to roll over the caulk... like shingles on a roof.

I don't think this is over thinking, because I only have one chance to get it right. Is it better to try and caulk a shower like the example on the right.

The red is, of course the surface of a caulk bead filling the gap between a tub and tile wall.

(I have found silicone II product I like but it says concrete and masonry... any reason I should not use this tube vs. window and door? This one is almost the PERFECT color!)
Attached Thumbnails
Which Caulk???-ba-1ead.jpg   Which Caulk???-bzath-shower-project-006a.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by wraiththe; 01-01-2012 at 03:55 PM.