Can I Use A Masonry Blade? - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2010, 10:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 258

Can I use a masonry blade?

I'm preparing to lay ceramic tile (smaller ones - about 6x6) on the floor in my bathroom. I don't have a wet saw, but I do have a table saw with a masonry blade. Can I use that on ceramic floor tile for straight cuts?

Edit: I just double checked, and these are porcelain tiles. Will a dry masonry blade work, or will I get jagged cuts?

Advertisement

Last edited by spaceman spif; 09-01-2010 at 10:52 PM.
spaceman spif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:00 PM   #2

Looks like from what I've read elsewhere so far, the answer is no. But these are small tiles, and the cuts will be straight lines. Has anyone found a trick or method using a normal (dry) masonry blade on porcelain tiles that works?

Advertisement

Old 09-02-2010, 07:14 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 622

The dry blade will kick up an enormous amount of silica dust. This is not something you want to breath or linger in your home. Use a wet saw.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:35 AM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,274

A table saw spins to fast to use a masonry blade to cut tile--or a diamond blade --To much heat.

The dust will do nasty things to the motor,too.

Rent or buy a wet saw.
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:13 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,238

Spaceman,

You don't need a wet saw for straight cuts. Just buy or rent a tile cutter. http://www.machinemart.co.uk/images/.../040213215.jpg

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Spaceman,

You don't need a wet saw for straight cuts. Just buy or rent a tile cutter. http://www.machinemart.co.uk/images/.../040213215.jpg

Jaz
Thanks, but I forgot to add that these tiles have a very rough top surface, and the bottom surface has a raised "mesh" pattern, so I would have a difficult time running a tile cutter across it. (I already have a tile cutter)

I stopped at Home Depot last night and bought a wet saw for $50...the same price to rent one for 4 hours! It's obviously not top quality, but I'm hoping it will do the job for a weekend warrior like me.
The Following User Says Thank You to spaceman spif For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (09-03-2010)
Old 09-03-2010, 09:23 PM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,238

I hope the tiles are not as rough as I'm thinking. Tough on the feet and harder to keep clean.

Hope the cheap saw works for ya. Most people end up buying a better blade for it.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:20 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

I used a cheap wet saw at my last house
It worked, hopefully your tile is not "hard" tile
The blade lasted thru tiling/cutting kitchen backsplash, bathroom floor (sm) & the tub enclosure

I wish I had put the $$ into a better saw now
Don't push the cuts too hard
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:46 PM   #9

Criminy...sometimes I shouldn't try to describe things when I'm in a hurry. The top surface isn't "very rough", but it's not smooth either. It has a slight texture to it to give it somewhat of a raised "marble" effect. But it's enough of a texture that I won't be able to run a tile cutter wheel across the whole surface, it would skip and hop over the raised areas.

I picked up a QED wet saw. 3/4 hp motor with a 7" blade. I'll run the tiles through it slowly, as S_D mentioned and hope it gets the job done. I'll try and report back and let you know how the saw works. If it does, for $50 that's a good bargain!
Old 09-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #10
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,614

Let us know how bad that saw boggs-down under pressure.

Quote:
It has a slight texture to it to give it somewhat of a raised "marble" effect. But it's enough of a texture that I won't be able to run a tile cutter wheel across the whole surface
Baloney!!! Have you tried it?
Old 09-05-2010, 08:18 PM   #11

I'll let you know how the saw is after I return this one and get another one. This one has a bent table. So right off the bat....not overly impressed!
Old 09-05-2010, 08:59 PM   #12
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,614

Don't expect the next one to be any different.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:35 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 42

That little 49 dollar wet saw works OK for the 4x4 ceramic tiles I'm cutting but I wouldn't recommend it for larger, thicker tiles. And yes, it does bind if I ask too much of it.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:12 PM   #14

When I get over this nasty bug and when I stop changing my mind on what color tiles to use, I'll try it out.

Yes, I changed my mind on the tiles. And no, I will not give up my "Man Card" for doing that.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:12 PM   #15

Saw worked like a little champ on the 6x6 porcelain floor tiles. The cuts were very smooth and as long as I didn't try to go too fast, it didn't bog down.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to spaceman spif For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (09-13-2010)