Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2011, 08:15 PM   #1

Share |

Can I lay ceramic tile on a pier and beam with Vinyl?

I have a pier and beam floor. I under stand that I need to check the floor joist. How far and how much support do I need for this. Can I lay a vinyl floor down and then a layer of thin set 1 1/2inches thick and then lay the tile? I was told that my house will always move and the vinyl and thin set will let the floor move but will not crack the tile. I live in Oklahoma and we are known for extreme temperatures. I cannot use the backer board because I will have to tear out the sub floor or it will be to high for my cabinets.

sandy 74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
Tileguy

Can I lay ceramic tile on a pier and beam with Vinyl?

Hi Sandy,

Quote:
Can I lay a vinyl floor down and then a layer of thin set 1 1/2inches thick and then lay the tile?
WHAT? Who the heck have you been talking to? Thinset is the adhesive, it's cured thickness is about 1/8".

If the subfloor is adequate, along with the support system, cement backer and tiles will add about 3/4". If you use a tile matting such as Ditra, it's even less.

As for the pier and beam.....there is no method that is written anywhere that includes that type of framing system. We do know that it can work though. Of course they may not all be constructed equally. Much of the left coast esp. Northern California and neighboring areas are built that way. Ask a reputable licensed tile setter in your area.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote