Can I Hang Tile To Drywall? - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2011, 08:07 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

can I hang tile to drywall?

Can I hang tile to drywall?

Advertisement

joesellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:23 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,192

Absolutely,its done all the time. What kind of tile --where is it?

Advertisement

Old 08-21-2014, 03:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Not recommended... depending on tile type, the weight of tiles can pull the drywall loose from the screws. If you do it, double up the number of screws holding the drywall to the studs and be sure not to drive the screws into the drywall more than a "dimple." You want your install to last years and years, not just a year or two.
Galileo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:52 PM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,616

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Absolutely,its done all the time. What kind of tile --where is it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galileo007 View Post
Not recommended... depending on tile type, the weight of tiles can pull the drywall loose from the screws. If you do it, double up the number of screws holding the drywall to the studs and be sure not to drive the screws into the drywall more than a "dimple." You want your install to last years and years, not just a year or two.
Interesting.....

But considering that Mike has been making a living for ever (old guy) doing construction, I'm inclined to believe him. Besides, I don't buy tile being able to pull drywall down. The adhesive would pull the paper off the drywall before the screws gave way, especially on walls where the force is in shear.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:36 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,230

Galileo,

Where did you get that idea? Absolutely wrong!

You can bond, (not hang) even thin bricks and stone. The weight is spread out over the entire area, it's not localized.

Care to introduce yourself and give a short bio so everyone can get to know more about you?

Also when you have something on your mind, it's best to start your own thread and not resurrect one that was buried years ago.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:20 PM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

Quote:
"Not recommended by who"?
In my almost forty years of installing tile everywhere imaginable this is the first I have heard that. It just simply isn't true.

Keep in mind there are professionals that participate here and have many years of experience. When bad advice or poor information is dispensed you are going to be challenged.

Welcome. Now...Who are you and what experience do you have?
Old 08-24-2014, 10:26 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,460

Quote:
Not recommended... depending on tile type, the weight of tiles can pull the drywall loose from the screws.
Extremely unlikely. The weight of tile or other coverings can be quite high, that's true. But that downward force is perpendicular to the drywall screws, and also spread out across the entire face. There is very little force pulling in the direction outward on the screws. In fact, it might even be pushing inward if your walls aren't perfectly plumb (and many are not).

Now if we are talking about tiling a shower ceiling, you'd be correct. You'd be wise to double the screws in that scenario.

Quote:
If you do it, double up the number of screws holding the drywall to the studs and be sure not to drive the screws into the drywall more than a "dimple." You want your install to last years and years, not just a year or two.
Dimpling is simply standard drywall practice, nothing special needed in this case. Keep in mind that longer screws should definitely not be used. It might seem counterintuitive, but drywall screws should be 1 1/4" for 1/2" drywall, not longer. You can actually get warps and pops if the screws are longer because of movement in the studs. If the screw were 2" for example, so much of it is in the wood that as the stud expands and contracts, it can pull on the screw too much. Not to mention the fact that you'll be piercing an electrical wire that way at some point

Advertisement

jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote