Can I Finish Wood AND Tile With One Product? - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Can I finish wood AND tile with one product?

Hi all! I am new to the forum, and fairly new (and self-taught/trial by error) to DIY building and crafty things. So here's my dilemma:

I am building a coffee table for my patio and want it to be fairly waterproof in case of rain, sprinklers, cold drinks on a hot day, etc. The table top alternates wood strips (each about 4 inches wide) with strips of ceramic and stone tiles. The piece is ready to be finished- the wood has been sanded and stained, and the tiles are grouted in. I'm just not sure how to finish or seal the whole table.

Will a high gloss polyurethane varnish or shellac do the all-over trick? Or do I need to apply varnish/shellac to the wood strips, and separately seal the grout and tile? OR, can I use a typical sealer on the grout, and then varnish the whole thing?

Ideally I'd prefer a very thick, shiny, and uniform finish- imagine a nice bar top in a classy establishment where the wood just *glows* under a super protective coating.

Thanks for your input!!

Advertisement

CraftyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 580

What type wood did you use?
No form of poly would work to seal the wood and the tile.
You would have been much better off making the table out of something like Teak, IPE, Cypruss that would not have needed a sealer.
Any form of poly is going to be your down fall.
The UV is going to cause it to fail shortly.

Advertisement

Old 05-17-2013, 10:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Actually it was a pallet that I rescued from going to the landfill. So, whatever kind of cheap wood that pallets are made from? I'm guessing pine or oak. It's definitely not a high-end piece of furniture, just something pretty and kind of rustic and handy for my beer.

My main concern is that I don't want the wood to warp or split if it gets thoroughly soaked in a thunderstorm or by the sprinklers turning on every night. Maybe this shouldn't even be a concern since the pallet was in rough condition to begin with?? It was all cracked and grey and looking like ancient barn wood.

At the same time I'm worried that if I do apply some kind of varnish to protect the wood from water, it might ruin the grout. I'm also concerned about water damage or discoloration from beverage spills to the grout, since all I had on hand was a "linen" colored variety.

So, back to my original question(s)- is there any way I can protect the wood and the tile/grout? I'm not opposed to using varnish or shellac on the wood and something else to seal the grout if that's what I have to do...
CraftyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:41 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,192

I used wipe on poly on some green marble about four years ago---still looks fine---

Make a sample board and experiment----
Old 05-17-2013, 10:48 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 580

If it's pine it's going to rot, if it's oak it's going to turn black once it get wet.
Varnish and shellac can not be used outdoors.
Tile needs grout sealer. If you were to try and use any other sealer it's just going to peel off in no time. It's the grout that needs selaing not the tile.

Tags
finish , grout , seal , tile , varnish