Can I Cut Tile Thats Already Been Layed And Grouted - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2013, 10:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

can i cut tile thats already been layed and grouted

hello to all

newb here...quick question...

background:
we paid a contractor abt $4500 to completely renovated our master bath...long story short, he did an excellent job but went over budget and could not buy the tub and could not finish the job without the tub. He did, however, rebuild the enclosure for the tub.

fastforward to today:
my cousin works at a bath remodeling place and they throw away tubs and other things that have "problems" ie...the tub he gave me was brand new, still on the pallet, but had a chip in the white coating. keep in mind this is a cast iron tub. so anyway the dimensions SEEMED to line up but after lifting this massive 300lbs tub in place, it actually didnt fit.

Question:
can i cut the tiled enclosure with some sort of saw to widen the enclosure so the tub can fit? thanks in advance. oh also there is concrete board and 2 by 4's underneath the tile. thanks again.

See photos below
Attached Thumbnails
can i cut tile thats already been layed and grouted-img_20130730_211008.jpg   can i cut tile thats already been layed and grouted-img_20130730_211024.jpg  

Advertisement

p_jay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,460

You can easily cut the tile with an angle grinder and a diamond wheel.
http://www.harborfreight.com/angle-g...-12-60625.html

(Notice in the third photo he is cutting through the brick mortar on a house.)

If you want to get fancy you can get an actual saw.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-TC4...0#.Ufh5Rqzi0VA

The dust kicked up when dry cutting can be hellacious. You can also try wet cutting with the 2 above. Obviously it will be easier with the saw.

Advertisement

jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
p_jay2 (07-30-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 10:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
You can easily cut the tile with an angle grinder and a diamond wheel.
http://www.harborfreight.com/angle-g...-12-60625.html

(Notice in the third photo he is cutting through the brick mortar on a house.)

If you want to get fancy you can get an actual saw.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-TC4...0#.Ufh5Rqzi0VA

The dust kicked up when dry cutting can be hellacious. You can also try wet cutting with the 2 above. Obviously it will be easier with the saw.
thanks for the quick reply...ive got an angle grinder already but will the diamond wheel crack the tile? or will it cut it without cracking the tile?
Old 07-30-2013, 10:58 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,230

Yes, it can be done. Good info from Jeff.

The diamond blade will cut through the tiles.

I have a question. Is there also plywood under the concrete backer on the deck and steps? How was the shower built? What is that bucket of AcrylPro mastic doing there? What was it used for?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
p_jay2 (07-30-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 11:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Yes, it can be done. Good info from Jeff.

The diamond blade will cut through the tiles.

I have a question. Is there also plywood under the concrete backer on the deck and steps? How was the shower built? What is that bucket of AcrylPro mastic doing there? What was it used for?

Jaz

hello there! there is no plywood underneath the tile. only concrete board. I THINK it was half in thick. i stress the THINK part.

When the guy tore out everything, he found termite damage and had to replace studs in my walls. When he rebuilt the shower, i think he used the same principle as with the tub. studs as the main frame, then concrete board. which i think he said would be termite-proof. then of course he tiled over it all. I may have missed a step because its been abt two yrs since the remodel. the bucket of acrylpro mastic was among left over extra material that was sitting inside the tub's enclosure until i set the tub in. so i removed it all and put it on the floor. I have no clue what it was used for.

reading the label now it says floor and wall tile adhesive...
Old 07-31-2013, 06:18 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 602

I see no way the way that was built is not going fail.
Main reasons are, tile board never should have been used as decking for that tub without at least 3/4 subflooring rated plywood or Advantech under it.
Tile board is only to give a bonding surface for the tile, it has almost no top loading strength.
Premixed Mastic is the last thing I would have used for tile in a wet area. Thin set should have been used instead. Despite what the box store told him or what it says on the container it becomes mush when it gets wet, and with a deck mounted tub it's for sure going to get wet.
Lastly that chip in that tub is going to rust and spread. It needed to be refinished by a pro before it gets installed. No store bought "paint" or refinishing kit is going to hold up.
Also all the grout needs to be sealed before the tub is set.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:35 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I see no way the way that was built is not going fail.
Main reasons are, tile board never should have been used as decking for that tub without at least 3/4 subflooring rated plywood or Advantech under it.
Tile board is only to give a bonding surface for the tile, it has almost no top loading strength.
Premixed Mastic is the last thing I would have used for tile in a wet area. Thin set should have been used instead. Despite what the box store told him or what it says on the container it becomes mush when it gets wet, and with a deck mounted tub it's for sure going to get wet.
Lastly that chip in that tub is going to rust and spread. It needed to be refinished by a pro before it gets installed. No store bought "paint" or refinishing kit is going to hold up.
Also all the grout needs to be sealed before the tub is set.
+1.
You really need to verify how the deck was built and what was used for adhesive before you go any further. Also, why would you spend as much as you did, and then try to retrofit a throwout tub just because it was free? Lastly, what were you planning for the end of the deck facing the toilet? Wood panel of some sort? In a case like that, I would build a face frame to hold a removable panels and have the tile extend over the faceframe.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:36 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,002

Just out of curiousity,did the $4500 include the materials (tile, studs, adhesives, etc.) or was it just labor?
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 508

...it makes you wonder how the shower was built..
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Seattle2k For This Useful Post:
firehawkmph (08-05-2013)
Old 08-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,460

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
What is that bucket of AcrylPro mastic doing there? What was it used for?
Wow, good eye.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #11
Pro

Rewards Points: 502

Making sure there is support under those steps and the tub is set in a mud base with ledges around the tub would work and less likely for tile to fail. Make sure to put hand railing up!
Hope the OP comes back and gets more positive advice.

Advertisement

JetSwet is online now   Reply With Quote