Bright Room = Darker Tile? - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 129

Bright Room = Darker Tile?

If a room is naturally bright, would it be better to put in a darker tile shade?

Light tan is a common tile that I see in model homes. It looks nice and is somewhat conservative, but will match almost anything. Would a darker shade tile be better in a bright room, to offset the brightness? I couldn't imagine having dark tile in a dark room, since it might be somewhat depressing.

The red tile in the photo looks nice, and might go well with a bright room. The bottom right is one that I initially chose and you can see it laid out in the other photo. During the day, it is really bright (brighter than the photo).
Attached Thumbnails
Bright Room = Darker Tile?-tile-selection.jpg   Bright Room = Darker Tile?-tile1.jpg  

Advertisement

greentrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

If you have lots of light you have the luxury of using darker colors without the room getting gloomy. Color tiles like you found can add some real depth to a room also. Do remember that darker colors can tend to make a room look smaller. At the end of the day, your choice in tile color will depend on personal taste and how the color of it works with the color on the walls and ceilings, cabinets, etc. and with color flow from and to other rooms adjoining it. And of course a nice, bright sunny room during daylight hours is going to be as dark as any other after the sun goes down so if you plan to use the rooms lots after dark you might want to lean toward lighter colors or plan to augment your artificial lighting.

By the way and usually the tile they have is not very impressive but I have occasionally found beautiful Italian tile leftover from a large job at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore where I used to live. It is worth exploring if you have one near you.

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:31 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
If you have lots of light you have the luxury of using darker colors without the room getting gloomy. Color tiles like you found can add some real depth to a room also. Do remember that darker colors can tend to make a room look smaller. At the end of the day, your choice in tile color will depend on personal taste and how the color of it works with the color on the walls and ceilings, cabinets, etc. and with color flow from and to other rooms adjoining it. And of course a nice, bright sunny room during daylight hours is going to be as dark as any other after the sun goes down so if you plan to use the rooms lots after dark you might want to lean toward lighter colors or plan to augment your artificial lighting.

By the way and usually the tile they have is not very impressive but I have occasionally found beautiful Italian tile leftover from a large job at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore where I used to live. It is worth exploring if you have one near you.
I saw some plain tan tiles with a darker grout in a model home, and it did not look that good. Texture does add a lot to the look of a room. I think I will put the light tan tiles in the darker room, and go with a shade between the red and tan tile in the bright room.

I attached a photo of a red tile implementation that I found on the web. For that tile, the room has to be fairly large and somewhat bright to use such a tile.

Thanks for the ReStore information. There is a ReStore not too far away, so I will stop by there and see what they have.
Attached Thumbnails
Bright Room = Darker Tile?-bellagio.jpg  
greentrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

I would personally say "it all depends." If you use a darker tile in a darker room/basement, you can use more lighting (install recessed cans/etc), or perhaps you don't want it as bright? Yes if you have more natural light, the room won't look as dark then w/ dark tile, but it really comes down to a lot of things imo, and the overall design of the room.
NewHomeDIYGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bright room