Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2009, 10:48 PM   #1
Serious Do It Myselfer

Share |

Botched grout job

My wife and I have spent every Saturday and Sunday carefully placing tiles into our new his and her shower - nearly four months! It took most of that time to cut and place all the special tiles around the custom seat and wall recesses. Most of the tiles are 4 1/4 square ceramic and there's an "expensive" ribbon of glass tiles about 2/3rds of the way up.

We grouted the whole thing on Sunday and had a real hard time getting it all grouted before it began to set (non sanded poly grout). Needless to say, we didn't get it all cleaned up very well and let it sit until Monday after we both got home from work. Now it's set hard and basically impossible to work with. A putty knife shaves the grout off the face off fairly well but most of the 1/8" grout lines are not clean looking like they should be and some are absolutly terrible.

My wife wants to cry (actually me too) - any suggestions?
I can attach photos if it would help.

Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:32 PM   #2

Botched grout job

yep, attach some photos please.

and keep your chin up. The more challenges a project throws at you, the more rewarding it is when it is all solved.

derf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:17 AM   #3
Home Remodeler

Botched grout job

I think your poly grout has epoxy resin in it. It dries hard as a rock. I hope someone can help you out but I think the grout will be impossible to remove.
mikey48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:49 PM   #4
Tile / Stone Contractor

Botched grout job

You can take a 1/2" or 3/4" dowel, wrap some sandpaper around it (with the rough side on the outside, but you knew that ) and slowly sand the grout down in the joints. Take your time and take care that you are not sanding parts of the tile face inadvertently. Cut you're dowel about 6" long.

Just go slow and the shape of the dowel will give you a nice, round finished line.

Don't ask me how I know that.
TileArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:37 PM   #5
Serious Do It Myselfer

Botched grout job

Thanks all for the pointers.
I found a finishing disc made by Pearl Abrasives that removes the (extra) grout just perfectly. It attaches to my 4 1/2" angle grinder and takes off just the right amount without scratching the porcilin or glass tiles.

It's grey and sort of spongy and has tiny particles of carbide in it. I'm surprized it doesnt scratch the tiles but it doesnt.

The disc is made for finishing aluminum I think and can be found at a welding tool store or other metal fab place.

The disc wears quickly and I figure it will take 10 or less to do the job but it beats starting over by a long shot.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:46 PM   #6

Botched grout job

If you end up with some spots where you need to remove the grout from between the tiles, Dremmel makes a bit and an attachment for that exact purpose, and it works great. You just need to be really careful as you get to the edges of the tiles because it will chip them.

pyper is offline   Reply With Quote