Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Big Tiling Mistake

So we broke a big rule for grouting and used a sanded grout on a marble mosaic floor. The mosaic scratched and now we have to fix it.
I've heard you can polish out scratches in marble but I've also been told that because a sanded grout was used - they cant grind down the marble because the sand will come loose and create more scratches.
Have read online about liquid products that can eliminate scratches on marble but I'm doubtful.
Do I scratch out all the sanded grout and then polish (very time consuming) or is there a quicker/easier way. I know this doesn't have an easy solution but I need something

RomanDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,136

Big Tiling Mistake

Who are you and what tile experience do you have?

How about a picture or two?

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:51 PM   #3

Big Tiling Mistake

I'm nobody - not a tiling pro. Done a few minor jobs -- just helping a friend out and the sanded grout was what the tiling company gave him. We used it apprehensively taking their word.
Finished cleaning and wiping tiles and everything seemed fine.
Friend called and said the tiles looked scratched but it may just be grout haze or the tile veins looking like scratches. He is away for the weekend so I can't get pics of the actual job.
I have a sample piece that I tried roughing up with the sanded grout to see 1)if I could achieve the scratched effect 2)if I could trying to buff them out with 1500grit wet sandpaper
Pics show my test: half left ungrouted, 1/4 with grout left on tile,1/4 with grout installed and wiped clean.
Grout makes tile look greyer by comparison but I can't see any scratches -- just veins in tile going in different directions.
Attached Thumbnails
Big Tiling Mistake-image-756045144.jpg   Big Tiling Mistake-image-3940253641.jpg   Big Tiling Mistake-image-1935633857.jpg   Big Tiling Mistake-image-1727773593.jpg   Big Tiling Mistake-image-611776657.jpg  

Old 09-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #4
Tileguy

Big Tiling Mistake

Okay - one more question.

Does that tile have a high-gloss finish under normal circumstances?
Old 09-09-2012, 04:35 AM   #5

Big Tiling Mistake

It does have a gloss but I wouldn't say its the shiniest tile I've seen. The gloss can be seen up close and in certain angles
Old 09-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #6
Tileguy

Big Tiling Mistake

Quote:
So we broke a big rule for grouting and used a sanded grout on a marble mosaic floor. The mosaic scratched and now we have to fix it.
I can not imagine how you can tell the grout has scratched the tile with what I see in the photos. How would you know.

Not being able to see a photo of the real thing and only seeing a photo of what must have been a sample could be somewhat misleading. If the above photos are a true depiction of the problem then I don't see a real bad problem.

It will take some work but I'll bet that can be cleaned with a 3M scrubbee pad and some elbow grease using a mixture vinegar and water.

How much tile are we talking about in overall square-footage?
Old 09-09-2012, 08:59 PM   #7

Big Tiling Mistake

It's not even a 6x4 bathroom floor and 3x4 shower floor.
Yes, it is really hard to depict through pictures. When I hold the them up to the light at an angle I get a definate gloss from the new tile and a bit I a hazed affect from the grouted tile. You can see scuff marks (scratch-like) on the surface -- may just be the gloss that's scratched.
I tried wet polishing with some 1500grit auto finishing sandpaper to see if I could get the shine back; didn't really work. Even tried going coarser to get off original gloss layer and then graduate up to 1500grit again from there. After this I dried and put a layer of marble sealer on the single sample tile to see if I could bring back original shine but it just didn't look the same.
I'm going to check with a local jewel polisher to see if there are any other tools or materials I can use.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:23 PM   #8
Tileguy

Big Tiling Mistake

3000 grit random-orbit, then cotton buffer.