Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2014, 12:58 PM   #1

Share |

Best way to replace step-in shower thresholds?

Hi all,
1968 home with all-tile (subway tile/white) showers. Two of them are step-in, with about a 6" step that is currently the same tile as the walls.

The thresholds have required regrouting a couple of times now, and as you can imagine they just aren't as cosmetically pleasing or as perfectly level as they were originally.

Here is the type threshold we have now. Mine is like this, but nasty. The rest of the tiles are tight and clean.

I'm ready to replace them again - this time I want to do it right as I'm getting ready to put the house on the market.

Is there any kind of 'cap' or oversized tile or marble plate that I can use instead of all these tiny tiles on the step threshold? I do have aluminum/glass shower doors, so having a nice smooth surface would really help.

imautoparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:50 AM   #2

I insist on a granite slab for all my custom showers. You can order one custom cut at your local granite company. Cost is usually reasonable because you can pick a color from the "drops" they have from countertop fabrication. I make sure I have a 1" overhang inside and out and have them "pencil edge" the 2 top edges. I also order it 1 or 2 in longer and dry cut to length on site w/ a 4 in diamond blade. Just remove and clean up the top of the curb, repair the sides if needed and set the granite in a bed of high quality modified thinset. Be sure to pitch it inwards to shed water properly. grout the ends and silicone the underside.

hoteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:29 AM   #3

Thread moved
Old 01-25-2014, 09:45 AM   #4

Thanks! I'm never 100% sure how to categorize posts about plumbing related construction.
imautoparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:28 PM   #5
Tileguy

Hey imautoparts,

That's my photo of a shower I built years ago you used for reference above. OK, no problem, you have my permission, this time.

If the curb tile grout has cracked and is in bad shape, you can be sure it's a mess underneath. Chances are the shower pan was punctured when the concrete backer was installed and then not waterproofed. In other words, it highly likely the work was not done right. But...........

You might be able to install a slab over it now, but I would need to see how the glass enclosure is installed. In most cases you won't be able to do that though.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote