Before I Start Grouting ... - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2010, 07:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Before I start grouting ...

Here's my plan for my very first grouting attempt -- is there anything I need to do differently?

My backsplash is a mix of 2x2-inch ceramic tile with accents in slate tiles (the kind from Lowes that you guys love so much ) that are 1x1 and 2x2. The slate tile is significantly thicker than the ceramic tile.

I seal the slate, let it dry, then mix the grout and apply it everywhere, kind of smushing it down and wiping off the excess with the tool. Then after 20 minutes, use a wrung-out wet sponge to do the first cleanup, and after another hour, another cleanup with the sponge. I caulked the line where the tile meets the counter before tiling, but I do it again after grouting the rest.

Is all that right? Anything special I need to know about the parts where the tile heights are uneven?

In an attempt to make the height work out, I have some places where the tiles are very close together but not touching. I hope the grout will squish in there OK? (I know it's a little late for hoping that...)

And then after the grout dries, I seal it, right? What about the places where the spaces are tight between the slate tiles, anything to be careful about?

Advertisement

dahlias987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:00 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

For joints 1/8 or smaller use non sanded grout. Use a grout float to insure the grout is forced into all joints. Don't use premixed grout. Sealer is optional. Not needed unless you are a sloppey cook.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:45 AM   #3

Thanks, Bill!
Old 01-03-2010, 10:53 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

guess i be sloppy cook
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:34 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

I wouldn't wait 20 minutes after grouting to sponge it. Do that right away it works better. Make sure you let the sealer cure properly before you grout..read the directions. Most sealers take 24 hours to cure properly.
Limit54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:09 PM   #6

OK, will sponge sooner. The sealer will definitely have 24 hours to cure since I'm not in the same state with my backsplash right now. This sealer didn't have any directions on it though! Didn't even say how to apply it. Unless there's a peel-away label or something I didn't see.

I guess I be a sloppy cook too.

Advertisement