DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

bathroom tile layout question shave some off the ends?

6K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Bud Cline 
#1 · (Edited)
I am using 12" square tile in a brick pattern above a tub to the ceiling. The one wall I have to shave off 7/8 of an inch off(horizontal), Should I just take 7/8 off one side or 7/16 off the far right tile and 7/16 off thefar left tile...

Also the other two walls (horizontal) I can have a 12, 12, 7 3/4 or should I do 9 7/8, 12, 9 7/8? (refering to 3 tile sizes placed horizontally). How should I lay the tiles out since I cant use 3 full tiles side by side?

how is this usually done. Also about 1/2 way up each wall there will be a border then the pattern will continue...

#2 ·
Cut only one side of a field tile. You don't want raw saw cuts in the field.

Typically your layout goes from the center with full tiles towards the corners where the tiles get cut to fit.

Layouts usually begin from a vertical center-line. However, that center-line may be a grout-line or it may be the center of a full tile, the choice is yours based on what size cuts there will be at the corners.

#3 ·
Cut only one side of a field tile. You don't want raw saw cuts in the field.

Typically your layout goes from the center with full tiles towards the corners where the tiles get cut to fit.

Layouts usually begin from a vertical center-line. However, that center-line may be a grout-line or it may be the center of a full tile, the choice is yours based on what size cuts there will be at the corners.

what is field tile?

#4 ·
what is field tile?
Yow I know...Now that I read my earlier response I realize it isn't very clear so let's do this again.

In reference to a tub surround and for anyone else that is following along let's begin with a typical straight layout.

If the tub is perfectly level then you start with the bottom row using a full tile moving upward of course. Generally you take what is left at the top when you get there but you first must do some measuring to be sure your topmost row won't be a sliver. This method may not perfectly balance the rows top to bottom but it will keep you from cutting a tile at the tub where it would show.

This boils down to only cutting edge tiles and never cutting field tiles. Always try to cut both edges so as to equally balance the entire wall.

But, you first have to also determine what your layout will be left to right. You do this by drawing a vertical center line on your wall. Then place a tile-edge on that line. Then use a second tile to place against the first while holding the first tile in place. Now hold the second tile in place and leap frog the first tile over the second tile. Keep doing this until you are into the corner. This will show you what size tile will have to be cut to fit at the corner.

Now, go back and do it again only this time place the center of the first tile directly over your center line. Leap frog to the corner again. Now you will know which method of layout will look and work best for you. The last corner tile should be as big as one of the twp layouts will allow. get the picture?:)

OK now, a "field tile" is any tile that doesn't go to an edge. Field tiles are the tiles that are placed in the "field" of the project. Typically the other tiles at the ends of a wall are "edge tiles."

Now let's really complicate this. In your case you are using a "brick pattern" commonly referred to as a "running bond". This will complicate your job only in the manner that now it doesn't matter if a center tile starts on the center with an edge of a tile or the center of a tile. This is because with a running bond pattern you are doing both. If one or the other rows causes a sliver at the side all you can do is choose a happy medium of balance to diminish the size of the sliver as best you can.

What I have described thus far is only the back (typically 5ft) wall.

The two end walls are a little different in that you will probably be terminating those walls at the front of the alcove and proably using bullnose tile. Obviously those tiles (at the front bullnose) will have to be cut but they will adjoin the bullnose and technically this puts those cut tiles in the field.:)

I know I know...CLEAR AS MUD!:)

OK, I'll stop here and see what you have to say so far.:)

#5 ·
clear as mud

wow....pretty good...that was actually clear as mud thanks....Thats the best reply Ive heard yet....

Regarding the two walls, I am not using bullnose as I left a lip on the drywall edge I hung so that it ends up against that lip. The problem is I have roughly 33 inches wide to work with and I am using 12 " tiles. I wasnt sure what the best option was here for the lay out or which would look the best..

Should I start from the outside and use 2 full 12's and fininsh in the corners with a 7 3/4 wide tile
or
start with a 9 3/4 then a 12 then another 9 3/4 in the corner?
Just wondering how pros ususally do this sort of layout...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.