Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2010, 12:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Bathroom tile

Using a Multi Max tool, can I remove grout and then remove the tiles and not destroy them, my house is old and I do not have replacement tiles. I am putting in a new shower valve and will have to remove some tile to get to the plumbing. The tile looks like they are on top of a "concrete" substance from what I can see after I removed the escutcheon plate on the existing valve.

ALIBEAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:59 PM   #2
Tileguy

Bathroom tile

It would take a miracle. I would do all the repairs from the other side. I doubt you'd have enough clearance to make the changes anyway. Cut a hole in the wall of the adjoining room and then patch it, or make a removable door/panel if it's in a closet.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:44 PM   #3

Bathroom tile

Thanks Jazman, the other side of the bath wall is the vanity, so I would have to remove it to get behind the shower valve. I am going to have to go try to find some old tile that matches and go in through the bath side. I just don't see any other way.
ALIBEAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:17 PM   #4

Bathroom tile

try finding some decorative tiles of the same size and see if you can weave them into the wall around the fixture
Old 03-02-2010, 07:02 AM   #5
Tool Cop

Bathroom tile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALIBEAU View Post
Using a Multi tool, can I remove grout and then remove the tiles and not destroy them, my house is old and I do not have replacement tiles. I am putting in a new shower valve and will have to remove some tile to get to the plumbing. The tile looks like they are on top of a "concrete" substance from what I can see after I removed the escutcheon plate on the existing valve.
It will take some patience, but it can be done. Just be really careful.

Last edited by TrafficCopSmith; 06-01-2010 at 07:20 AM.
TrafficCopSmith is offline   Reply With Quote