Bathroom Tile - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
Mookie

Rewards Points: 10

Bathroom Tile

My dilemma!..... We had our bathroom done in stone tile. Carpenter did the work then sealed the grout. Did a terrible job, there are clumps of grout, the tiles arent cleaned off properly. How do I remove the sealer so I may clean off grout properly and fix grout? Also they put on caulking, did an absolute horrible job, it goes from an inch wide, streaky, to spots missing, to crack in grout. Just a total hack job. How do I remove that completely so I can fix it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I can post pictures if that will help see what I am talking about....

Advertisement

mookie_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Bathroom Tile

Posting pictures will help. Suggestions will be based on the visual somewhat.
Is this sanded or unsanded grout?
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:11 AM   #3
Mookie

Bathroom Tile

these are just a few
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom Tile-wapiti-bathroom-009.jpg   Bathroom Tile-wapiti-bathroom-014.jpg   Bathroom Tile-wapiti-bathroom-013.jpg  
Old 06-05-2009, 03:04 PM   #4

Bathroom Tile

The stone you picked, marble had recesses in the stone. The grout filled these recesses. You will not get the grout out of the recesses.
With this type of stone you would pick a grout that was as close to the stones color as possible so the issue would not stand out as much.
If there is grout on the stones surface, you can try one of those grout haze products. You can also try wet sandpaper to abrade the grout off. Start with a coarser grit and work your way down to 220.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:30 PM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Bathroom Tile

I have a small sand blasting setup for use with my compressor. It produces a pretty fine cone of sand (about 1/2") I'm not saying this would do the trick, but I've salvaged some near-impossible situations with that little blaster.

Might be worth a try.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:55 PM   #6
the Musigician

Bathroom Tile

i wonder if a steel (or brass?) wire 'cup' brush on a drill would clean that grout out?

DM
Old 06-08-2009, 05:48 PM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,582

Bathroom Tile

You WILL RUIN that tile if you try to sand it or blast it or wire-wheel it. Good Lord!!!

You are correct, it is a pitiful example of craftsmanship.

I doubt the sealer will be an issue. As bad as he screwed up the tile and caulk installation I'm sure the sealer application is equally as abbreviated.

The caulk can be gingerly removed by scraping without getting to aggressive. Grout on the other hand may loosen up with the use of white vinegar and a plastic scraper. Most metal scraping tools will permanently mark the stone.

Has this ass been paid?

Nice socks by the way!
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:31 AM   #8
Mookie

Bathroom Tile

Thanks for the recommendations. I havent done anything yet, I was waiting on the carpenter to return this weekend. But the more I fumed over the whole situation I called him back and told him not to come, cause I was extremely unhappy and not sure what I was doing yet. Paid?? well as far as Im concerened he is way over paid already but I do owe him a few thousand more. Im going to try to do what I can myself, through your advice, and I bought a book on tile finishing. Then I figure the hours I put back into it, I am taking off of my bill. We have put so much money into this bathroom already I hate to spend anymore, but I definately cant leave it unfinished. The more I look at other jobs he has done, I am p ssed off at myself for even getting him to do my bathroom, but some of the things he has done are imaculate. I guess Im just easy money to him because I am usually to nice to say anything cause I dont want to have hurt feelings. So be prepared for more pictures on how to fix things lol, fire place will be next. Tiles are cold, gotta have the socks
Old 06-09-2009, 12:38 PM   #9
Tile and Paint contractor

Rewards Points: 75

Bathroom Tile

A prime example of why not to hire the lowest bidder contractor for a project.
And as you said,
Quote:
Carpenter did the work
, not a tile setter. Just as you use the right tool for the job, you use the right type of craftsman for a specific trade.
Have you spoken to the person who did the work yet?
He at least should help you scrape out the grout he used in transitions and changes in material. And replace with color-matched caulking.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:58 PM   #10
Mookie

Bathroom Tile

I have never cheaped out on a single job I have had done in my home. He has been building homes, and finishing them for over 40 years. I dont have a choice on who I hire, but he is not bottom of the totem pole. I live remote, and to even have have him come in and do work in my home is a task in itself. I cant just hire a tile person, unless I have him drive about 3 hours to come here, and as it is I am paying 100 dollars an hour to have him and his 2nd year apprentice grandson come in and do work. Its a delima in itself. I have had him in my home for 4 years doing work now, and it just seems like im a easy job easy money get in get out thing now, before was never like that. I could bake you cookies or something if you want to come fix the job but hey, that probably wouldnt fly would it
Old 06-09-2009, 02:11 PM   #11
the Musigician

Bathroom Tile

i have serious doubts as to whether a brass cup brush could damage tiles such as the ones shown.
steel, MAYbe... brass? no way.

DM
Old 06-09-2009, 06:19 PM   #12
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,582

Bathroom Tile

If what I am seeing in the photos is real stone (and it is) then it is very very soft compared to any ceramic tile. A motorized wire brush could groove and grind the tile immediately. This is to say nothing about the blak marks that can be left by the brass. Ever rub on or polish brass? Did it make your fingers black?

It is going to have to be done by hand, very slowly and very meticulously.

Advertisement

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote