Bathroom Remodeling - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-25-2014, 12:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bathroom remodeling

Hello,
I am planning to remodel my bathroom and I am looking for an advise/comments.

In few words about bathroom and my plans. My bathroom is 6'x10', no window and tiles only around bathtub about 6' high, the rest is painted walls (latex paint) - the cheapest bathroom builder could've build.

Plans: replace all (vanity, bathtub, lights, toilet, thermo valve, shower, med cabinet, basically everything), tile floor and all walls (up to the ceiling) with 12x24 porcelain tiles, make couple niche in bathtub wall.

Here is my few questions:
Around bathtub I'm planning to use Schlutter Kerdi membrane, should I use membrane on entire bathroom (~230 sqf) or around bathtub is enough (~ 98 sqf)?

For a niche on bathtub wall - DIY with Styrofoams and Kerdi over it or use premade Tile Ready or EZ-Niches or Preformed Ready or Noble Niche or any other premade?

My subfloor (34sqf) 3/4 plywood on 18" joist, planning to use Schlutter Ditra, do I need to add 1/2" ply to my subfloor before Ditra?

I really appreciate any comments/suggestions

Advertisement

Last edited by oh'mike; 05-25-2014 at 05:41 AM. Reason: added spaces
sharaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 05:48 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,336

Bathroom remodeling

Well, that's a lot of questions--

Only Kerdi the wet areas--no need to waterproof the entire wall ---

Niches--as long as you waterproof them well--foam or wood will work---the pre-made ones might not fit with your tile layout--it will be very difficult to build niches into those huge tiles---laid out wrong you could have a very difficult time cutting the tile so the niches look right--

We need to know the joist size--unsupported length and the spacing --with that,someone will give you the deflection of the floor.

Advertisement

sharaga (05-25-2014)
Old 05-26-2014, 01:15 PM   #3

Bathroom remodeling

Unfortunalty at this point can't get to any place where i can see the joist size, unsupported length and the spacing, once i will demolish bathroom I'll get back to this question.
While still planning came across another question: what thin-set to use? modified vs unmodified. According to Schluter recommendation i will use unmodified under and over Kerdi (around bathtub) and Ditra (on the floor). But what to use on the rest of the walls? as i mentioned above the rest of the walls are latex painted drywall and my tiles 12x24 porcelain (planning to use 1/32" spacers between tiles). Found different solutions:
1) Mix unmodified with latex additive
2) Use modified thin-set, then with my tile size and spacer which one is the best?
3) Replace drywall with hardybacker and use unmodified
Can't decide which solution is the best or maybe there are other better solution(s)?
Old 05-26-2014, 01:29 PM   #4
DIY staff

Bathroom remodeling

Use a modified thinset over the painted drywall--you can make your own,as you mentioned--or buy a bag---

1/32"? that is to small--those tiles aren't perfect--and your walls are not perfect---

You will find yourself in trouble attempting a grout line that thin--
Old 05-26-2014, 01:50 PM   #5

Bathroom remodeling

So #1 or #2, honestly i was leaning toward #3 any negative comments about it? Since my tiles are big and spacer is small the mortar drying time will be long so any recommendation on the brand for modified? Have access to Lowes and HomeDepot around me.
About 1/32", learned from other tile jobs (my house, friends house) that using Tavi spacers (circle with the cross) will increase actual space by at least 1/32" due to tiles inperfection so in reality i expect space will be around 1/16".
Old 05-26-2014, 03:29 PM   #6
DIY staff

Bathroom remodeling

If you don't mind replacing the drywall---number 3 is a safe bet--
Old 05-26-2014, 11:47 PM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,256

Bathroom remodeling

Sharaga,

You're installing porcelain tiles, there is no choice but to use modified thinset on anything other than Kerdi & Ditra.

To install the tiles over Kerdi & Ditra, what unmodified thinset can you buy near you? Do not use the cheapo stuff. Lowes & HD do not carry an unmodified worth taking home. Go to a real tile store. Lots of brands, check back with your choices.

What will you use to install Ditra to the floor?

The minimum grout joint size is 1/8" and then only if the tiles are a high quality and everything is very flat. I find the Tavy spacers ok for floors, but a pain on walls.

I think you're better off staying with regular wallboard, that's Schluter's recommendation. Hardie can cause problems since it's a very thirsty board. It'll suck the life out of thinset. Be sure to wipe with a damp sponge just prior to applying the thinset.

Let us know about the subfloor and framing when you can. You don't have to see them to measure their size or spacing, the span can be iffy. 18" joists spacing is not common, double check that.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:16 AM   #8

Bathroom remodeling

Thank you Jaz!
Thinset - called several tile stores and they sell Tec, Mapei and Durabond unmodified, same brands plus Laticrete for modified. So which one should I go with for my tiles?
Have another tile installation question. I have two 135 degree corners one inner and one outside. How to install tiles on both corners? Should I bevel the edges of connecting tiles so the tiles will not be overlapping but kind of connecting?
Old 05-27-2014, 01:48 PM   #9
Tileguy

Bathroom remodeling

Bostic - Hydroment - Durobond - is the company licensed by Schluter to make Ditraset which is the perfect mortar for Kerdi & over Ditra. Get this one if they stock it. http://www.bostik-us.com/market-prod...ramic#ditraset

Those other companies also make premium unmods. Tec has FullSet - Mapei makes Kerabond. Laticrete makes # 272 & #317.

The inside corner should be fine treating as a 90.

The outside corner can be finished with a bullnose on one side, or by mitering the back using your wetsaw. In most cases I prefer mitering the backs cuz a bullnose adds more grout lines and often doesn't look as good. Test a few cuts to be sure your tiles don't chip and to get the hang of how thin the tip should be. Some manufacturers supply a certain amount of "Jolleys" (pre-mitered) with their wall tiles, in separate cartons. Haven't seen much lately though.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:14 PM   #10

Bathroom remodeling

Excellent , special mix for ditra/keri.
What would you recommend for modified one?

On installation topic. I was planning to use Dilex-AS around my bathtub and Dilex-EKE between floor and wall, any pro/cons on that? Also should I use Delix-BWA around the door and next to a bathtub skirt on the floor, or it's not really necessary?
Old 05-27-2014, 06:43 PM   #11
Tileguy

Bathroom remodeling

Not necessarily special mix, just premium grade. There's several others out there that will work well too.

The corner moldings are a matter of taste, if you like the look, fine. Personally I don't use them cuz the local distributors don't carry many and there's a good chance they'll be out of something. As a pro I can't wait an extra couple weeks for them to get 2 little out corner caps that their inventory says are on shelf #32, but can't be found.

None of these metal profiles are necessary. They're a good substitute for caulk.

Jaz

Old 05-27-2014, 06:57 PM   #12

Bathroom remodeling

All profiles that I mentioned are plastic, but I see your point about caulk, so caulk it is.
Going back to thinset, unmodified - Durabond, what you would recommend for modified (latex painted drywall, 12x24 porcelain tiles) from 4 brands that my locals carry: Durabond, Tec, Mapei, Laticrete?
Old 05-27-2014, 08:20 PM   #13
Tileguy

Bathroom remodeling

The Durobond unmod for Kerdi is Ditraset, not just any Durobond.

Modified for under Ditra and for the other walls; Any modified will work. Even the entry-level quality ones that sell for $15-17 a bag at the big box stores. I recommend using white. I always like to step up to a better grade, so why not keep it in one family of brands. The Durobond/Hydroment store might carry; Single-Flex or Porcelain Mate

Jaz

Old 05-31-2014, 01:58 PM   #14

Bathroom remodeling

Went to a dealer today, ordered Durabond Ditraset (not a cheap thin-set about $30 per bag) but did not buy Single-Flex (has to be ordered by tile store) because the price just throw me off ($70 per bag) and dealer recommended the Laticrete Gold ($40 per bag) did not buy that either cause have to get back and pickup my Ditraset. Should i go with Laticrete or get something else like Tec, Mapei?
Old 05-31-2014, 10:06 PM   #15
Tileguy

Bathroom remodeling

Those prices a full retail +. But they don't stock it, so that's why. $70 for Single-Flex is nuts.

On the modified, as I said before, any will work. Just go to the orange place and get Versabond for about $15. They also carry two others for about $25 & 30. Tec & Mapei is fine too. You're looking for ANSI A118.11. If it has that spec, it's fine for over exterior glue underlayment plywood.

Jaz

Advertisement