Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-21-2012, 09:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 83

Bathroom Redgard Confirmation

I've read this thread: Exterior Bathroom Wall Insulating and a few others, but have a question that didn't get specifically answered in various threads.

Attached are images of the bathroom i'm working on. I did R15 on the wall facing the exterior and only plan to put tile up until the line where the cement board meets the greenboard (both are flush). The million dollar question is do I redgard the entire wall, inclusive of the green board ? and the ceiling, which is also greenboard, above the shower ? Since i just plan on painting above the tile line, how does the primer and paint adhere directly ontop of the redgard? Since to my understanding the redgard turns dark red when it dries. If you can't already tell, I haven't used redgard before.

Also, is it necessary to mud the seams with thinset? I have the fiberglass mesh tape, wondering if i could use something else asides thinset, since i'll already be using thinset to set the tile? Also, I know joint tape is usually best for corners, should i use the joint tape at the upper corners or just use the fiberglass mesh tape all around ?

Thanks to all.
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom Redgard Confirmation-photomar2082706am.jpg   Bathroom Redgard Confirmation-photomar2082648am.jpg  

Last edited by hboogz; 03-21-2012 at 09:02 AM.
hboogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Quote:
Originally Posted by hboogz View Post
I've read this thread:The million dollar question is do I redgard the entire wall, inclusive of the green board ? and the ceiling, which is also greenboard, above the shower ?
Just Redgard the durock, not the greenboard. The line between the two should be well above where any water will directly hit.

Quote:
Also, is it necessary to mud the seams with thinset? I have the fiberglass mesh tape, should i use the joint tape at the upper corners or just use the fiberglass mesh tape all around ?
Yes, you need to mud and tape the seams. Use drywall products for the greenboard, and thinset with the correct tape for the durock. Since you will be using Redgard, you want to make this as thin as possible. It is also a good idea to take a spray bottle of water and wet the durock first as it will suck the moisture right out of the thinset.

Edited to add: If Bud or Jaz were here, they would probably tell you you don't have near enough screws in the durock.

Last edited by Blondesense; 03-21-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
Just Redgard the durock, not the greenboard. The line between the two should be well above where any water will directly hit.

Yes, you need to mud and tape the seams. Use drywall products for the greenboard, and thinset with the correct tape for the durock. Since you will be using Redgard, you want to make this as thin as possible. It is also a good idea to take a spray bottle of water and wet the durock first as it will suck the moisture right out of the thinset.

Edited to add: If Bud or Jaz were here, they would probably tell you you don't have near enough screws in the durock.
Thanks for the confirmation. As far as the screws, before i put up the redgard, i'll put up some more. Any particular reason why i need more just on the durrock ?
Old 03-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Quote:
Thanks for the confirmation. As far as the screws, before i put up the redgard, i'll put up some more. Any particular reason why i need more just on the durrock ?
Any flex or movement can cause tiles to pop off or crack, grout to break up, and general failure.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:27 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

http://www.usg.com/rc/installation-a...e-en-CB237.pdf

From page 5:

Bathroom Redgard Confirmation-capture.jpg
rightit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:47 AM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,476

Use tilers mesh tape---not drywall tape ---the drywall tape will break down when embedded in thinset--
Old 03-22-2012, 09:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Use tilers mesh tape---not drywall tape ---the drywall tape will break down when embedded in thinset--
The plan is to use the mesh tape for the seams and corners where the durock is meeting the greenboard and all the corners. I planned on using drywall tape for the greenboard areas alone. opposite wall, ceiling, wall behind the sink + toilet, etc.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightit View Post

Thanks. I'm a newbie, so i apologize in advance, but when the link indicates to Space Fasteners 8" on center - what exactly does that mean i should do in context to the pictures attached ? attach more screws 8" apart from each other ?