Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2009, 09:50 PM   #1

Share |

Ball-park $ for mud bed ....

I'm going to be pulling out a formed one-piece tub surround and in it's place I'd like just a shower, wall to wall 32x60.

How much can I expect to pay if I contract out a tile professional to make a mud bed and tile just the floor of the shower? My husband and I are pretty good at tiling walls and we'd like to do that ourselves.

Another option would be to install a shower pan - I don't particular care for the fiberglass - maybe a solid surface pan. How much would that cost to hire out.

Ball-park figures.

Thanks in advance.

SandyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:04 PM   #2
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

There are many considerations when it comes to price. Where are you located? Where will the shower be? What is the current substructure? Will there be any plumbing upgrades? New fixtures? Seat in shower? Niches? Shower door style? Tile type?
All that said, a custom shower, 100% waterproofed shower starts around $5000.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:29 PM   #3

Thanks Angus,

Quote:
There are many considerations when it comes to price. Where are you located?
Chicago

Quote:
Where will the shower be?
I have a 5x11 bathroom - the fiberglass tub (ugly thing) takes up the back wall 5 feet across - the shower will go in that same space.

Quote:
What is the current substructure?
Sheet vinyl, but I assume under that one-piece contraption would be just subfloor?

Quote:
Will there be any plumbing upgrades? New fixtures? Seat in shower? Niches? Shower door style? Tile type?
Any of the above would be handled by us. I'm interested in contracting out JUST the mud base w/curb and also having the professional put down the tile ONLY on the floor (mud pan).

We would put up the durock and waterproof the seams as well as tiling the walls.

Would a professional tiler even consider a job like that? Just the mud pan and floor tile?

Thanks, Sandy

Last edited by SandyK; 01-04-2009 at 10:32 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:34 PM   #4
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

For the location, I meant is it a first floor, second, basement?

I guess answering that question kind of answers the next but I meant what type of subfloor do you have; wood, cement slab?
Old 01-04-2009, 10:39 PM   #5

Quote:
For the location, I meant is it a first floor, second, basement?
I can hear you laughing at me angus. Living in chicagoland, I thought that might up the price considerably.

Quote:
I guess answering that question kind of answers the next but I meant what type of subfloor do you have; wood, cement slab?
Second floor bath - wood subfloor.

Thanks, Sandy
Old 01-04-2009, 10:51 PM   #6
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

I can only offer what I would charge in my area for a full shower. I'm sure other areas can be more or less. Heck, there are so many options I'm sure the price can sway quite a bit depending on many things.
I can tell you the things that will make the price jump would be (specific) location...meaning logistic. Say a 5 story condo with no parking nearby.
If your current situation isn't too ideal, plumbing needing to be moved to accommodate the new shower, mold found.
Choice of materials can make a difference.
Also note that the shower is technically a system so planning ahead will keep the price in check. If you tiled and then found out the framing couldn't handle your newly purchased shower door...etc.
Finally, keep waterproofing in mind. Tiling does not make a structure waterproof. If your contractor of choice doesn't mention waterproofing, you may want to pass. When you're taking on a project of this size, make sure you spend your money wisely. Don't skimp and your new shower can outlast the house itself!

Good luck!
Old 01-05-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
Tileguy

Sandy take a look at the shower kits offered by Schluter Systems...you could do the whole thing yourself and wouldn't have to hire anyone.

http://www.schlutersystems.com/8_4_k...hower_kit.aspx

The kits are available in many sizes and one will fit what you want to do.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:11 PM   #8

Bud,

I did see that video - the guy makes it look so easy, but I imagine what I would look like after working with all that "mud", as I explained to Angus.

Is it really that easy?

Does the pan come in standard 60'' lengths with an offset to the left (to go right over where the tub drain was)?

I've never done a shower floor, just walls and backsplash. It seems in the video that there is no clearance around the drain for the tiles (ie, the tiles would stick up over the drain flange instead of being flush with it).

Thanks in advance for the wisdom - I've been lurking a while and enjoy the level of expertise on here.

Right now, I'm in the "thinking" stage of what I want in this bath - just weighing the options.

How much would that shower kit run?
Old 01-05-2009, 05:50 PM   #9
Tileguy

Quote:
I did see that video - the guy makes it look so easy, but I imagine what I would look like after working with all that "mud", as I explained to Angus.
ALL WHAT MUD? There is a little thinset involved but it's not a big deal.

Quote:
Is it really that easy?
Yes it is very easy to do.

Quote:
Does the pan come in standard 60'' lengths with an offset to the left (to go right over where the tub drain was)?
Yes they come in a 60" version with an offset drain. That's not to say you wouldn't have to tweak something but most all of that stuff is pretty standard and very do-able.

Quote:
I've never done a shower floor, just walls and backsplash. It seems in the video that there is no clearance around the drain for the tiles (ie, the tiles would stick up over the drain flange instead of being flush with it).
The KERDI Drains are remarkable little inventions. They are adjustable up and down for various tile thicknesses and they are adjustable 360 degrees to suit a small variation in your tile layout. If you use the standard 2" X 2" porcelain shower floor tile available in a million colors the KERDI Drain fits and aligns with the tiles perfectly.

Quote:
Thanks in advance for the wisdom - I've been lurking a while and enjoy the level of expertise on here.
Glad to be able to help.

Quote:
How much would that shower kit run?
Most people gasp at hearing the price but the truth is it is probably less expensive than the old fashion way of doing a standard two-cast mud receptor with a liner when you assign value to your time. The kits are also fool-proof whereas the old system can be problematic at times.

To date I have installed scores of the kits and rarely cast my own bases anymore. The old way is too slow and too exerting.

The kits include the sloped tray, the adjustable KERDI Drain, enough KERDI Mat to suit the shower you are doing, preformed inside corner laps, the curb, and a suitable roll of KERDI Band. Cost is around $400.00, just depends who you are and how many you buy I guess.

These guys are where I've been getting mine and the prices are all right there for you:

http://www.tile-experts.com

I just realized they don't readily show the kit with the offset drain but it is available in a 32" X 60" dimension.
That kit is the: ST-81/152 BR

Last edited by Bud Cline; 01-05-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:15 PM   #10

Quote:
ALL WHAT MUD? There is a little thinset involved but it's not a big deal.
It doesn't matter Bud, I guarantee, it will be a mess. I lump all that "stuff" as mud. My bad.

Quote:
If you use the standard 2" X 2" porcelain shower floor tile available in a million colors the KERDI Drain fits and aligns with the tiles perfectly.
Yes, I would use 2x2.

Quote:
Cost is around $400.00, just depends who you are and how many you buy I guess.
That's not a bad price, imo.

Thanks so much Bud, I appreciate your help.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:51 PM   #11
Tileguy

Now some things to look out for:

If the drain hole needs to be tweaked this could mean the floor may have to be altered slightly to accomodate the moving of the drain egress. Can't remember if you are on concrete or wood.

The shower kit (if you choose the kit) may also have to be altered slightly to fit the opening and maybe the alcove will also have to be altered.

The KERDI is a simple process but the thinset must be mixed correctly and the corners and laps done correctly.

You could save the cost of the kit slope by having someone cast the cement that could be used in its place and having them do the KERDI and KERDI Drain. Once the KERDI is in place the floor tile must be done before you get on the KERDI to do anything else.

None of these are major setbacks but could be a little challenging for some people. Weigh all your options, it may be less costly to hire some of it afterall.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:59 PM   #12

Quote:
If the drain hole needs to be tweaked this could mean the floor may have to be altered slightly to accomodate the moving of the drain egress. Can't remember if you are on concrete or wood.
That's what I was afraid of.

Quote:
The shower kit (if you choose the kit) may also have to be altered slightly to fit the opening and maybe the alcove will also have to be altered.
Afraid of that too. It's when us DIYer's get into the "tweaking" and "altering" that the trouble starts.

Quote:
You could save the cost of the kit slope by having someone cast the cement that could be used in its place and having them do the KERDI and KERDI Drain. Once the KERDI is in place the floor tile must be done before you get on the KERDI to do anything else.
That was my initial thought - have a professional do the base, whether a mud bed or this Kerdi system - and then we would finish up the tile.

So, $400 for materials, another $400 for labor?
Old 01-06-2009, 07:31 AM   #13
Tileguy

Quote:
So, $400 for materials, another $400 for labor?
Can't answer that. That question would go to whomever you have give you a proposal to do the work.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:03 PM   #14

What would you charge, Bud?

If you had nothing to do but install the Kerdi Shower system.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:23 PM   #15
Tileguy

Quote:
What would you charge, Bud?
I'm not trying to dodge your question but I can't give you a reasonable answer based on what I know you are wanting to do. I probably wouldn't do just the base receptor. I charge $200.00 per square foot of foot print for the entire shower. I'm not the cheapest guy around tho.

That's just the shower receptor and walls and with only two wall tile penetrations. Add a hand held personal sprayer and it's extra, add additional wall penetrations for multiple spray heads and it's extra. Tile the ceiling and it's extra. Add a bench or a foot rest or niche or a shampoo shelf or soap dishes and it's extra.

I know I know, I'm outrageous. I am also riding on more than thirty years of doing this stuff. Hope you understand.

Last edited by Bud Cline; 01-07-2009 at 06:30 PM.