Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-10-2013, 11:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Backsplash around window question

I'm going to be doing our backsplash in the kitchen pretty soon. My question is how to deal with where it meets the kitchen window? The backsplash will only be going up a few inches of the window and then drywall the rest of the way. Should I just run the tile up to the trim and caulk? Or should I take the run the tile under the trim, like you do drywall. The only problem with this is that the tile will stick out maybe 3/8" or 1/2" on top of the drywall, so the trim would be "uneven" or need to be in two layers. The other option is to make my own trim, which I'm fine with also. Starting out with some solid oak 3/4" thick. This way I can rabbit out for the tile thickness and then put some edge profiles on to make it look nice. Also I can run the tile under it so I can do the tile first and trim later which works out better for me.

Right now I have the trim ripped out because I am going to redo the extension jambs and new trim. So I'm starting fresh and can do whatever will look the best. Just not sure which way to go!

I'm sure this has been covered before but my searching skills didn't come up with many answers so if it has been answered please link to the thread and I will read that.

Thanks

ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:45 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,848

If you don't mind milling your own trim---with a rabbit to hide the tile trim junction--that is the best way----

Old 06-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Thanks Mike. I will do that then. Will have to come up with some sort of neat profile so it's not just flat trim.

One other question. Between the window and the upper cabinets is about a 6" or so space. Planning on running the tile up to the bottom of the cabinets. So there will be 6" of tile on each side of the window that will have the top edge exposed. What is the best trim to use there? Not sure if the metal trim that goes on before the tile or just some wood bullnose after the tile is up.
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote