Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2012, 05:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Backerboard/OSB Board Needed?

Currently in my basement, I am getting ready to remodel the bathroom. Right now it is just skeletoned in, and I have to do a few things (move a toliet, move a sink, build a shower, etc.).

Now, when I go to lay tile I am going to lay the backerboard down. For the carpet in my basement, I am building a false floor to even it all up. For this I am just using OSB board.

When I start to lay the tile, should I just use the OSB board and then put backerboard on top (since it is a concrete floor) or will the OSB board be enough or will the backerboard just be enough?

Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hi Ruck,

You can not, (and there is no reason to) install concrete backer on a slab. The reason to install backer under tile is to get a tile-friendly surface, nothing else. Concrete is a great tile friendly base. Set the tiles on the concrete or use a membrane such as Ditra first to help with moisture management and to help eliminate cracking and other problems.

I'm not too crazy about your other plan to build a "sleeper" floor too. It does not work well over the long term. Moisture from below the concrete will be trapped and cause many problems. Sometimes it happens in a short time, sometimes it can take many years, it just depends on the conditions.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:55 PM   #3

Thanks for your comments. So if the concrete is pretty well clean (no cracks, dents, etc) then just lay the tile?

Edit: Also about the moisture, would it help if I washed it down really well with a Tri-Sodium Phosphate. Then patch the cracks and holes with concrete floor patches. And then finally use a concrete sealer?

Last edited by Ruck; 02-21-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,348

Thin sets not going to stick to a sealed floor.
Unless you have an extreamly dry basement carpets not a great idea. It will wick moisture out of the slab.
There are underlaymnets that may work out and help the floor stay warmer. Here's one.
http://www.dricore.com/en/dinstal.aspx

Last edited by joecaption; 02-21-2012 at 06:13 PM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,476

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
T And then finally use a concrete sealer?
No sealer---that's a bond breaker--Post a picture if you can--
Old 02-21-2012, 06:49 PM   #6
Tileguy

Quote:
So if the concrete is pretty well clean (no cracks, dents, etc) then just lay the tile?
Yes, pretty much. Has to be clean and dry of course, but flat is very important and often a basement floor is not. In #3 you mentioned no cracks. Then in next line you mentioned cracks. Cracks need to be addressed. How old is the floor? How flat? What size tiles, how large an area?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.

Last edited by JazMan; 02-21-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Yes, pretty much. Has to be clean and dry of course, but flat in very important and often a basement floor is not. In #3 you mentioned no cracks. The in next line you mentioned cracks. Cracks need to be addressed. How old is the floor? How flat? What size tiles, how large an area?

Jaz
What do you recommend using to level the basement floor out?

As for the cracks, I was just saying if it had no cracks to just lay it. The floor has one crack going through it. Would you just use a concrete floor patch?

Not sure on the age of the floor

As for flat, I don't have a level. I will be able to get my hands on one after I talk to my Dad about borrowing one.

Not sure on tile size yet. Haven't even looked at them. Just setting up to go get tile.

92.5" x 114.5" is the concrete room size. Then there is a wood platform that measures 82.25" x 89.25" that a jet tub will sit on and we plan to tile that wood platform also. Speaking of the wood platform, is wood a good surface to tile on or should I get something else for the tile areas.

And Mike, as soon as I can, I will get a picture posted.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:08 PM   #8
Tileguy

Quote:
What do you recommend using to level the basement floor out?
Again, flat & level would be ideal. Flat is more important. I don't know how out-of-flat your floor is yet.

Quote:
The floor has one crack going through it. Would you just use a concrete floor patch?
No, filling the crack is not gonna do anything. (you're not painting). You'll need to install/apply some kind of crack isolation membrane or uncoupling membrane.

Quote:
Not sure on the age of the floor
OK, how old is the house?

Quote:
As for flat, I don't have a level.
Most levels are 2 and 4 ft. long. That's not gonna tell you much about how flat your floor is. The floor needs to be; "flat within 1/4" in 10 ft. & 1/16" in 12" of the desired plane". Otherwise larger tiles will not work well, and/or the floor will look like a first-timer did it.

Quote:
92.5" x 114.5" is the concrete room size. Then there is a wood platform that measures 82.25" x 89.25" that a jet tub will sit on and we plan to tile that wood platform also. Speaking of the wood platform, is wood a good surface to tile on or should I get something else for the tile areas.
A wooden platform built over a concrete floor, below grade no less? Not a good plan at all.

Jaz