Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2009, 09:17 AM   #1

Share |

applying grout with a grout bag?

I have seen a bag that is shaped like a pastry bag that you fill with grout and grout the joints on tiles at HD.

The last time I grouted my ceramic tiles, I had a heck of a time removing the grout haze.
I had to remove it with vinegar and water and scrub it off every single tile......

I was wondering if anyone has used these bags for grout application and if you would recommend them, as I have 470 square feet of grouting to do and I want to avoid having to deal with the grout haze.

Thanks
yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:10 PM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

From one female newbie to another, how are you at caulking?

Seriously, I think we are about equals regarding tiling, and I am also contemplating another tile job down the road. I considered a grout bag, but decided against it. Here's why.

I can caulk a good line (there is a pun in there somewhere), but I figure, I'd still have to go back and smooth all the grout lines, which will cause a certain amount getting on the tiles. Therefore, back to square one, cleaning up the tiles.

I think for a porous natural stone where there is problem with grout getting into the tiles themselves, a bag is a good idea to keep the amount of grout to a minimum, but for a ceramic or porcelain that is easily wiped up, I suspect a grout float is a much less labor intensive way to go.

As far as dealing with the haze, timed right, I haven't had a problem. I waited about 20 minutes after grouting to clean up the majority of it, then another hour and a half later, came back and took care of the haze.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:04 PM   #3

Thanks Blondesense

I did think about what you have just explained and that I would end up wiping anyway, but I was hoping that I wouldn't have as much grout on the tiles.

The tiling job previously was my first ever tiling and I did not clean it up as good as I should have and left it overnight......yes overnight.......
When I got there the next day, it was a royal pain in the a.....

I would like to try the grout bag....
I have done a lot of caulking during this basement reno..
Old 10-22-2009, 05:31 PM   #4

Forget the grout bag, waste of time and will do a lousy job if it even works at all.

Grout with a float pushing it in good, wipe any excess right away with the float as you go, when it starts to haze and dry on the tile, stop, go back and give that area a quick cleaning and tool the joints with your sponge, damp sponge wrung out real well.

Now continue if a large area, if not, when that first clean up hazes again on the tile, use the sponge wrung out real well and wipe it across the tile only once and in one direction.

When finished, damp microfiber towel and wipe it the same way, one direction, this will get up any remaining haze.
R&D Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:06 PM   #5
Serious Do It Myselfer

My wife and I have spent every Saturday and Sunday carefully placing tiles into our new his and her shower - nearly four months! It took most of that time to cut and place all the special tiles around the custom seat and wall recesses. Most of the tiles are 4 1/4 square ceramic and there's an "expensive" ribbon of glass tiles about 2/3rds of the way up.

We grouted the whole thing on Sunday and had a real hard time getting it all grouted before it began to set (non sanded poly grout). Needless to say, we didn't get it all cleaned up very well and let it sit until Monday after we both got home from work. Now it's set hard and basically impossible to work with. A putty knife shaves the grout off the face off fairly well but most of the 1/8" grout lines are not clean looking like they should be and some are absolutly terrible.

My wife wants to cry (actually me too) - any suggestions?
I can attach photos if it would help.

Last edited by Jim W; 11-16-2009 at 10:46 PM. Reason: need to move to new thread
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:22 PM   #6

OMG.....

I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination. I have never used unsanded grout before.

I would imagine that you may have to dig it all out and do it again.
Post some pictures and maybe someone else can chime in.

Acutally, you may want to start a thread for your question, that way it would get the experts to help you.

Good luck, and don't worry, you will get it to look great.
Some of the great people here will help you.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
Serious Do It Myselfer

Thanks, I did post it somewher else and I will download some oictures very soon.

Good luck with all you endeavors
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote