Anybody Familiar With Epoxy Grout? - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2011, 12:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Anybody familiar with epoxy grout?

Does anybody still do epoxy grout for tile work anymore?

We are having our kitchen and bathroom remodeled this year. The old kitchen island top and counter back-splashes were tiled using epoxy grout. The kitchen is over 20 years old and the grout color and integrity still look absolutely brand new. The grout in the equally old bathroom was standard sanded grout and looks like heck.

I know that you must be able to work quickly with epoxy grout since it sets so quickly and I'd imagine that the fumes might not be something that everyone would want to work with so I am wondering if tile people still use epoxy grout. When I inquire about using it for these new jobs, people look at me like they have never even heard about it.

Advertisement

MyGoldenRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,578

Epoxy grouts have always been a pain in the butt to install. In today's world the hot-ticket is the newer urethane grouts. They perform every bit as good as the old epoxies and are much easier to install and deal with.

Take a look at Quartz Lock for one.

Advertisement

MyGoldenRocks (03-06-2011)
Old 03-05-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,192

I use epoxy grout a lot---Spectra Lock by Latacrete---Available at most tile stores and Lowes(in small containers only)

What do you need to know? No smell--some peoples skin is sensitive to the liquid---reasonable open time--ruins a lot of sponges and margin floats---

Another trouble free grout is Quartz Lock 2 by bostik---I just received a sample ,however,and have yet to make a sample board----Mike---
MyGoldenRocks (03-06-2011)
Old 03-05-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,488

Please don't make duplicate threads about the same thing, thank you. I deleted your other thread on the same subject.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:29 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Thank you very much Bud and Mike.

I really like how the epoxy grout has held up for over two decades. It honestly still looks brand new. I've only found one contractor familiar with it and they did not ever want to use it again because it was such a pain in the neck. The Quartz Lock products sound like they just might be the ticket. I'll do an Internet search on it now.

Just a quick question, is that grout acceptable to use with polished and/or tumbled natural stone?

A note to "beenthere":

I tried to delete my original post on the flooring thread after I had not received any replies after quite some time had passed. I then also noticed that almost all of the posts on the flooring thread pertained to hardwood flooring. It was then that I noticed that there was a seperate tiling, ceramic, marble subsection -- which was not obvious to me. Sorry about that mistake. Since there was no way for me to delete my original post that was not likely to be answered in the wrong section, was I not permitted to ask my question in the proper section? Thank you for the warm welcome.

Last edited by MyGoldenRocks; 03-06-2011 at 12:44 AM.
MyGoldenRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:26 AM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,488

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGoldenRocks View Post
Thank you very much Bud and Mike.

I really like how the epoxy grout has held up for over two decades. It honestly still looks brand new. I've only found one contractor familiar with it and they did not ever want to use it again because it was such a pain in the neck. The Quartz Lock products sound like they just might be the ticket. I'll do an Internet search on it now.

Just a quick question, is that grout acceptable to use with polished and/or tumbled natural stone?

A note to "beenthere":

I tried to delete my original post on the flooring thread after I had not received any replies after quite some time had passed. I then also noticed that almost all of the posts on the flooring thread pertained to hardwood flooring. It was then that I noticed that there was a seperate tiling, ceramic, marble subsection -- which was not obvious to me. Sorry about that mistake. Since there was no way for me to delete my original post that was not likely to be answered in the wrong section, was I not permitted to ask my question in the proper section? Thank you for the warm welcome.

Simply use the report button, and ask us to move it to the proper forum.

Advertisement

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote