Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2012, 11:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 522

any fix for a leaning doorway?

All the tile is on the wall in my latest bath reno(done for my son). Floor is down also.

I tried really hard to get straight and floor lines to corespond with wall lines etc.. This whole bath was remarably straight, square and true,,,,EXCEPT,,,,when I get to the very last corner which is within couple tiles of window and then corner,,,turn corner,,,3/4" of tile and then door(hinge side)

I find out very late to the project that top of door(wall adjoining)on hinge side leans out ,,,away from my plum tile resulting in an increasing corner gap.

Beginning at bottom about 1/8 inch as it should be,,,increasing to maybe 3/8 to 1/2 inch on top of bull nose . As I see it,,non preventable,,,but is there ANY fix or correction to be made before I caulk and grout??? Caulk color and grout is a very very dark brown(per son and dil request) tile is medium dark/light goldish yellow 6 bye 6(wall) floor similiar 12 bye 12".

Cutting a sliver piece for 2 or 3 rows of top would look more odd I think. Is there something else I should have , could have done????other than rebuid entire wall square and plum,,,they didnt want that. Other side, knob side is good. Good news is it is behind door when its open and only visible when door is shut.

Fixes for this project?Advice to not happen next time.???

sorry dont know how to post pics and no equipment to do so.

4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:00 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,882

You are in trouble---

Experienced tile setters do the layout so that there is a cut tile in all corners---because,as you learned the hard way, walls often aren't plumb.

A sliver of tile sounds like a better fix than a wide patch of dark grout---

Mudding the wall is also a possibility---but not a great one---Mike---

Old 05-14-2012, 07:19 AM   #3
Stay-at-home GC

Rewards Points: 500

Ahhhh, the joy of never being able to un-see the mistakes that happened....Resist the urge to point them out to your wife.

If your far enough away you could cheat your tile spacing (wider at the top) over several courses or like Mike said float the wall with mud.

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:14 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 522

Thanks Oh Mike and Devil Dog.,,,,not my house,,is my sons house,,,this was a daddy doo project(akin to a honey doo but slightly different).

This bath was so even didnt cut one tile for width of room including the doorway to big wall side. In the absolute (trying) to match floor tile seams and wall tile seams it all lines up with odd rows of wall to match the half floor tile to front of bath with rest thru doorway,,,as owner requested,,,,

Where I tile above a tub,,,easy to adjust tile placement and organization to cut so major part is left. NOT an option in this instance...only cut wall tile is around window and about an inch off deoth
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:55 PM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,882

Well, you got luck (sort of) on the layout--but it caught up to you in that one corner--