Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-03-2010, 11:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Advice on a wet tile saw please

I am tiling my mother's living room (about 600 sq feet) and she bought 16 in ceramic tiles. Gonna be tiling the bathroom at a later date and right now, due to work schedule, I can only lay the tile in the evenings. I figure it will take me several days by myself so it would be foolish for me to drive 30 miles and rent a wet saw for $50 a day when I could buy one and have it for later projects. But which one to buy? These are the three that I have found and would like some opinions on. I am experienced in wood working and all other forms of saws but tile saws are a little new to me.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...2&blockType=G2

http://www.qep.com/products.php?c=1&cat=1&sub=17&prod=6

http://www.qep.com/products.php?c=1&cat=1&sub=17&prod=5

They are all around the $300.00 mark but I don't know enough to to know if I need a bridge saw or some other format.

Thanks all,
DSU

darksideuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:07 PM   #2

So...no one knows anything?

Old 06-11-2010, 06:38 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 28

You may need both---the tile size says,"get the bridge saw" Either one will get you through a job like that.

Most bridge saws are lousy at any thing but a straight cut---With big tiles I bring both the bridge saw and the over head cutter like the picture.

For a one shot job--buying two saws is not practical. Get the bridge saw and an angle grinder with a diamond blade---use the angle grinder for the "impossible cuts"---Mike---
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #4

Thanks a bunch. Any advice on which bridge saw, the craftsman or the qep?
Old 06-11-2010, 09:15 PM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 28

My guess is they are about the same--I've used the QEP It's O.K.--They are lightly built so plan on spending a little time getting it adjusted --once set up it performed well.
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:28 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2

DSU, not to rain on Mike's parade, as I sound something like yourself. Lots of woodworking experience, very little tiling experience.

I recently got a 24" capacity machine, like the middle one in your list. It isn't the same brand, but looks like it might have come out of the same factory.

I also have a smaller machine - 16" capacity - which I have had for several years.

If you go on my Gulf Island Building thread in the showcase, you can read all about it. Several annoying teething troubles - all now fixed - and the right blade for the job was probably the biggest thing.

It sails through porcelain tiles beautifully. And if you need tiling information help...just look for Bud Cline - he's the best!
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:02 PM   #7

I'd suggest to bite the bullet and get a nice MK or another professional quality saw. Maybe a Felker FTS-150 is available for cheap somewhere as they are rebranding. Anyway, my experience is that the better the saw the better the overall results because you are not frustrated with your cuts and therefore more willing to put the time in getting things right. You can always resell a quality saw on craigslist without taking a big hit.

FlooringDude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tile saw, tools